89. A little dragon

~third person pov~

Over the next two weeks after she is moved to the lounge Rosa spends less and less time in her bed. With Buckys help she is able to make it down the ramp to the main lounge.

Her vision doesn't get any better though. She is meeting with doctor strange and getting restless.

"Will I ever be able to see again?"

"Well.."

"Just tell me"

"I won't say it's completely impossible because, you know-"

He holds out his scarred hands

"-but it's not looking good. That flower had some kind of poison in it and while your skin is finally healed, your eyes are progressively getting worse. They're deteriorating and I can't figure out how to make it stop"

A silent tear slides down Rosa's cheek

"So I'll never be able to see again?"

Her words are more of a statement than a question. Doctor Strange puts his head down

"I'm sorry Rose"

Bucky puts one hand over rose's.

"I'm sorry Rose we'll figure something out"

Rose runs one hand through her recently brushed hair.

"It's not about what I can't see, it's about what I can"

Strange furrows his brows

"What do you see?"

"I see him, and everything he did to me. I see pain and destruction and everything I did to you guys and there's nothing to distract my eyes from those sights. Nothing!"

"I-"

"Don't strange! Just don't."

Rose interrupting strange gives Bucky an idea. He pulls strange to the side. Their conversation is whispers.

"Do you think her skin is healed enough for-?"

He makes a flapping motion with his hands

"Yes her skin is completely healed so now it's just the internal damage and her eyes"

"So I can-?"

Bucky points and strange nods. Bucky throws the words over his shoulder as he runs down the stairs.

"I'll be back!"

Bucky runs all the way to Rosa's room and grabs a pack of blueberries on the way.

"Phoenix? Phoenix come on it's time to get going"

Phoenix doesn't respond. She just lays there in her little area.

"C'mon Phoenix, I've got blueberries"

Phoenix raises her head up and looks over at Bucky. Blueberries are her favorite snack and the only thing that's been getting her up. She's been very depressed and has plucked quite a few of her chest feathers. Bucky brings her blueberries frequently.

Bucky holds a blueberry out to Phoenix and she takes it.

"Alright Phoenix I've got a suprise for you"

Bucky holds his arm out to Phoenix

"Up"

Phoenix ruffles her feathers and sits back down in a subtle "fuck you" aimed at Bucky.

"Up"

She doesn't respond so Bucky reaches to pick her up. She bites him.

"Hey! You're lucky that was my metal arm"