72. We can't have both

You pull away from him and look down.

"I-I don't know if I can do this"

Kyle looks at you with confusion

"What do you mean?"

"Nova likes Nyle, but I like you, we-we can't have both"

He takes your hand and you can't make yourself pull away from him.

"It's okay, we don't have to do anything you don't want to do"

"But I do want to, I just-"

You turn away wrapping your arms around yourself. Just then you hear the bifrost and Nova takes over.

"Nyle!"

She practically tackles him with a hug and you make no move to stop her. After Nova has caught up with Nyle you split control with her and nail on your fake smile.

"It's getting dark, let's go inside"

You open the door and they follow you in and down the stairs. You get to the lounge and Wanda gives you a knowing look. You pretend not to see it.

"Do you guys want to play hide n seek with Phoenix?"

Nyle looks confused.

"With Phoenix?"

"Yeah, she'll be the seeker and if she says 'spider man' you have to say it back. When she finds you she'll say 'get webbed' and you have to give her a treat"

You give them each a treat right as Phoenix flies over and lands on Kyle's head.

"Peek a boo! Get webbed!"

You smile

"You ready?"

She bobs her head

"Good girl! Yes good girl!"

You turn to Wanda

"You wanna play?"

"No thank you, maybe next time"

You turn to Phoenix

"Go!"

Phoenix goes under the blanket and starts counting.

"1, 72, 53, 27, 3, 14.."

The problem is: Phoenix's version of counting is just shouting random numbers. The number you always tell her to count to is 30 but the amount of time is different every time.

Knowing this, you and the guys scatter like rats.

You don't know where the other two went but you end up in between the couch and the cushions. You know better than to use the same spot twice in a row. Phoenix is too smart for that.

"30!"

You hear her flap her wings as she takes off to go find everyone. Evidently she finds someone pretty fast because the next thing you hear is

"Get webbed!"

You stay still as you hear her fly over again. She always tries to find you on her own before using spider man.

You hear the cabinet you were in last time creak open.

"Peekaboo?"

You are once again the last one Phoenix finds and you're pretty proud of yourself for it.

-(small time jump)-

You sit in class with your head on your hand looking out the window at the colorful fall leaves falling from the trees outside. You sketch the tree with its falling leaves in your sketchbook.