71. Firsts

It's a week before you start high school and Ky has gotten settled in to his new room. He walks in to see you in the kitchen making cookies. Phoenix spots him and whistles

You shush her and step over verge who is laying on the ground at your feet. You speak to Ky.

"You ready to start high school?"

"No"

You drop your fake smile

"Yeah me either, want a cookie?"

"Sure"

You and Kyle sit at the table eating cookies and then move to the lounge. Verge jumps up on your lap and you scratch behind his ear. He rolls over and does the rottie rumble.

"Oof, you're getting too big for that bud"

He nudges you to continue petting him and you do with a laugh. Phoenix sits on Kyle's head which is apparently her new favorite perch. She  whistles again.

You laugh and swat at her

"Quit it"

She looks down at Kyle and touches her beak to his forehead

"Mmwaaa!"

You work on backpack Jarvis for a while adding some features and when you're happy with it you go over to Kyle.

"Hey ky, wanna play a game?"

"Sure, what is it?"

"Hide n seek with Phoenix"

Just then Phoenix flies over

"Peek a boo!"

You smile and pet her chest feathers.

"Basically it's hide n seek but is she says spider man we have to say it back and when she finds you she'll say 'get webbed' and you give her a treat"

"Okay let's do it"

Phoenix turns around. You and Kyle run to find hiding places. You find a nice little cabinet that you can fit in and get in there. You're not sure where ky hid but soon you hear Phoenix call out and you call back.

You continue the process and each time Phoenix sounds closer and closer. You hear here exclaim

"Get webbed!"

You figure she must have found ky. Soon you hear her just outside the cabinet you're in. She's so close that you can hear her talons against the floor.

You hold your breath as she taps on the door of the cabinet you're in.

"Good girl?"

You smile at her sort of question and then you hear her wings flap and the door slowly creaks open. You look out to see her looking at you upside down.

"Get webbed!"

You smile and give her the treat as you climb out of the cabinet.

"Yes good girl Phoenix"