Coworkers

I wrote this for class today and thought I could make it a oneshot. I hope you enjoy it!

I stumbled out of bed and into the kitchen. A pot of coffee had just clicked off and I got out a large mug. I poured the hot coffee into the mug and put the pot back. I poured some milk, ice, and flavored syrups into the mug.I took a gulp, instantly regretting as the warm liquid seared my throat. I shook my head, wondering why humans were so sensitive. I ate a bite of bland toast then hopped into the shower. I turned on the hot water and groaned.
Why can't my brain function in the morning? I thought, standing as far away from the cold water as I could. I shivered and the water at my feet warmed. I turned the temperature down slightly and slipped into the water. I thought for a moment and turned the temperature up a little bit more. If someone is taller, will their heat tolerance be higher? They are closer to the hotter water. They wouldn't know because it isn't compared to someone else. (A/n I literally had a 5 minute argument about this with myself yesterday lol.)I got out of the shower and got dressed for work, the fresh, silky clothes finally decided to cooperate after a long week. I finished my breakfast and coffee and grabbed my stuff.
I locked my apartment door and drove to work, not wanting to leave the warm car. I scanned my badge against the door and walked inside the building. I walked to the elevator, hearing only my feet on the cold floor. I frowned, pushing the UP button and looked around. Usually around this time, the building would be crowded with people. Maybe I was early, so I shrugged, and walked into the elevator. I pushed the button for my floor and the elevator went up. I weaved through the cubicles and sat in my office chair.
The usual buzz of the office was complete silence. I turned on my computer and crossed my legs. I logged onto the computer and I heard the familiar humm of the copier. I began typing up a report that I started yesterday and the copier went quiet. I kept typing, feeling the comfort of the keyboard under my fingers. I leaned back into the fake leather of my chair, examining my work, and someone knocked on the wood behind me. I jumped and saw C/N, one of my coworkers, standing behind me with a stack of papers in his arm.
"What are you doing here on a Saturday and working?"
"What do you mean? Today's Saturday?" I turned around and pulled up the calendar. "Sure enough. I'm supposed to meet Mom at the mall," I pressed my fingers to the bridge of my nose. I saved my work and turned off my computer. I packed up my stuff and C/N stood there, shaking his head.
"Have fun with your Mom, workaholic. I'll see you on Monday," I nodded and went back to the elevator. My phone rang and I answered it.
"Hey honey. Are we still meeting up?"
"Yeah. Give me 30 minutes. I accidentally went to work instead of thinking it was the weekend. I need to change," I rushed home and changed. I met up with Mom at the mall and we walked around for a while. We went into a candy store, looking for my brother's favorite candy for his birthday.
"Look. Do you remember when we got these for you?" Mom held up a bag and I smiled.
"Yeah. You had to hide them from me because I would eat the bag in one sitting," I bought a bag and we left the candy store. I opened the bag and ate a piece. "Hasn't changed a bit. You are not taking these away from me," I shoved the bag in my purse and Mom laughed. I looked up and a guy with recognizable dark hair walked by.
I shrugged and we went to the food court to get lunch. We sat down with our food and ate. We went home and I cleaned out my purse. I frowned, looking at a piece of paper.
Cute mall outfit. In case you want to talk outside work, workaholic. I thought a moment then remembered walking by the guy with dark hair in the mall. I typed his number in my phone and hesitated. I called BFF/N, another coworker, and told her what happened.
"You should text him. Omgosh this is adorable. Get off the phone with me now and text him," I shook my head.
"I don't know what to say?"
"Of course you don't. Just say hey and answer his questions. Be a normal person about it though," I rolled my eyes and hung up.
Hi.
Workaholic? I didn't expect you to text me so soon.
I called BFF/N first. Why did you give me your number?
In case you wanted to talk other than at work. What are you doing tonight?
Me and Mom have dinner together. We alternate making meals and it's my week.
I didn't know you could cook?
We only see each other 5 days a week for 8 hours. I don't expect anyone to know a lot about me in that time, especially since we work during that time.
Do you guys mind having another person?
Don't know. I'll ask if Mom's fine with it. I called mom.
"Did you already forget about our dinner?"
"No, I had a question about it tonight. Do you mind if I bring someone?"
"Is it that cute work guy your always going on about?" I blushed.
"Yeah..."
"Definitely. I'll be there at 6 as usual. Surprise me," I smiled and called BFF/N.
"Are you calling to tell he has either asked you on a date or proposed?"
"Kinda. He asked if he could join me and Mom for dinner. Mom said it was fine, of course. She's been dying to meet him."
"I would crash the party but my boyfriend is here for our date. Have fun and be good," I laughed and hung up.
That was a long call.
BFF/N called. Mom's fine with it.
Tell me where and when.
I started making the food and I got dressed before they were supposed to show up. There was a knock on the door and I glared at the food.
"Don't burn while I'm gone," I opened the door and C/N stood there in nice cloths. He held out a wine bottle.
"I know you have allergies so I didn't know what flowers you would like or not be allergic to so I just got wine," I took the bottle from him and allowed him in my apartment.
"Perfect choice, actually. We love this wine. I knew I forgot something," I shrugged and put the bottle in the fridge. I checked on the food. There was another knock and I opened the door and Mom hugged me.
"We just saw each other a few hours ago," I smiled, hugging her back. We went into the kitchen and heard Mom and C/N talking in the other room.
"Badmouthing me already?" I teased.
"Never of you, workaholic. Your mom was asking about myself. You know the making sure you can date my daughter interview," I went back into the kitchen and thought about what he said. I served up the food and set it on the table. I got out the wine and C/N took the bottle from me.
"Your mom wants you. I'll finish up," I walked into the living room and she frowned at me.
"You didn't say he was perfect. I can see that he loves you. You need to quit being you and tell him how you feel or else I'll intervene," I leaned back and rolled my eyes. "I was exactly like you when I was young."
"Still are. How do you think I got this stubborn?"
"Your father is there too. If he doesn't say anything, then you have to make the first step. I know your independent but everyone needs someone in their life to trust. Let's go eat before C/N finds out how good of a cook you are," I smiled and we walked into the kitchen. We sat down and ate. Mom went home and I poured another glass of wine.
"Your mom's nice. I think she like me," I raised an eyebrow.
"I've noticed. She didn't hide her excitement when I asked her if you could join us," I smiled. "And she gave me one of her good old lessons. If he doesn't have enough guts to ask you out, you do it for him," I downed the glass and I let my hand fall to the table.
"I've loved you since I started training you. You light up the room and I didn't know how to tell you," he took my hand and brushed his lips over my knuckles.
"I didn't know how to tell you either. I've never met anyone like you before. You block out the world but also feel like you have to carry everything. All of your burdens, everyone else's. You can't find a problem you can't fix except your own," I tilted.
"I can't tell if your flirting or calling me out," he smiled and stood up.
"Is either of them working?"
"Thats part of why I'm confused," he came around the table and dragged me into the living room. I wrapped my arms around his waist. "Will you be my boyfriend?" He hugged me back and agreed. My phone rang and I answered it.
"Has he asked you out yet? If not I will personally go over there," I shook my head.
"He didn't. I asked him."
"Did he say yes?"
"Mhm. Mom's calling," I hung up on her and answers mom's call.
"Has one of you asked the other out yet?" I internally groaned.
"Yes, mom. Your as bad as BFF/N."
"I know. Your dad came back early so we will come visit," I hung up and yawned. C/N led me to my room and let me go. I changed into pajamas and he was standing beside the door.
"What were you waiting for?"
"A large thump as your cloths fell to the floor," I leaned against the doorframe.
"Why?" He rolled his eyes and pulled me back to him.
"In case you fell," I yawned again and he picked me up. He walked to the couch and laid down. I wrapped my arms around him and tucked my head into the crook of his neck. He tucked a lock of hair behind my ear and I looked at him.
He smiled and his fingers lingered on my cheek. I looked away and tugged a blanket over us.
"Goodnight," I mumbled a response and went to sleep.

C/N POV
I heard a clicking noise around 9am and I tried to get up. Y/N's arms were around me and I brushed her hair back.
The door to her apartment opened and someone tried to get a key out of the doorknob. I shook Y/N awake and someone walked into the living room. BFF/N turned on the light and squealed. Her parents came around the corner and I saw BFF/N's phone in her hand.
I turned on my side and I pulled her close. She dug her face in my chest and shook her head. I smiled and our audience finally left.
"I understand you a little better now," she pulled away from me.
"How?"
"Blocking people out. That's easy," she shook her head.
"They'll call later. They always do," I pressed a hand to her cheek and kissed her lips breifly. She pulled me back and I smiled against her lips. She wrapped her arms around my neck and I put my hands on her hips.
Our breathing was heavy when we pulled away and I sat up. Her phone rang and she leaned over to get it. She pressed her fingers to the bridge of her nose. She went to get up but I pulled her back to me. She squeaked and I wrapped my arms around her. She relaxed into me and kept listening.
"I know, dad. I got to go. No, ugh," she hung up and leaned her head back. "If you want to starve, that's fine. I need food," I let her go and she went into the kitchen. After a few minutes, I sat at the table as she served up a plate of food.
She put the plate in the table and turned around again. The coffee finished and I grabbed a mug. I poured some coffee into it and took a sip. I sat down again and Y/N sat down with her plate.

I didn't want to end this one but I also don't know what else to do for it. I hope you guys enjoy it!