Chapter 180:

I walk into Joey's room with a polite smile on my face.

Delilah: hi Joey.
Joey: morning.
Delilah: Drake.
Leon: Joey Mitchell, 16 years old. Admitted after suffering major injuries from a car accident. Major fracture to his left hip, broken arm and leg and suffered a brain bleed during surgery, but injuries were fixed in surgery by Dr. Torres and Dr. Karev, and the brain bleed was stopped by Dr. Avery-Shepherd. Vital signs are stable.
Delilah: thank you Dr. Drake. Has Dr. Karev been around yet?
Joey: uh, no.
Delilah: well, he should come around to check on you later.
Joey: can I talk to you for a second, alone?

I look over at Drake.

Delilah: Drake, why don't you go get the interns something to do, okay?
Leon: okay Dr. Avery.
Delilah: thanks.

Everyone walks out of the room as I look at Joey.

Delilah: is everything alright? Is there something you wanted to ask me that you didn't feel comfortable asking in front of them?
Joey: I just... I want to talk. You know, as brother and sister.

I sigh at Joey.

Delilah: Joey...
Joey: I'm sorry. I know you hate my mom, but I've been wanting to meet you since my mom first told me about you 7 years ago. I've always had this dream of having a big sister—
Delilah: I will come in every once in a while to do a Neuro eval.

I walk out of the room before Joey could say another word. I walk around and I see Meredith coming out of her meeting in the conference room.

Currently, Ben is under a lot of heat for cutting open a patient while under a lockdown. He says that he didn't see the elevator doors open as he was about to cut, but you could see on the surveillance footage that he did see the doors open and he still chose to open her up in the hallway. I love Ben, but what he did was wrong and it costed us a patient.

Delilah: hey. Are you busy?
Meredith: I have some time before Owen, Maggie and I have to talk to Arizona and Alex about the Warren situation. Why?

I grab Mer's wrist and drag her into an on-call room.

Delilah: my bio mom is roaming around.

Mer's eyes grow wide.

Meredith: hold on, what?
Delilah: mhmm.
Meredith: are you joking?
Delilah: I genuinely wish I was. This a total "Meredith Grey" situation.
Meredith: wait a second, she has another family?
Delilah: mhmm. She has a teenage kid, aka my half brother.
Meredith: actually?!
Delilah: yeah. Remember the kid I told you about from that accident downtown?
Meredith: that kid?!
Delilah: mhmm.
Meredith: woah, you're right. This is a "Meredith Grey" situation.

I sigh as I bury my face into Mer's shoulder.

Delilah: what do I do Mer? The kid and the mom want to be a part of my life and I don't want them to. The day I met them, Jackson and I got into a big fight about it and we haven't talked since.

Mer rubs my back as I look up at her.

Meredith: look, you have zero obligation to any of them. You have every right to not know them. Believe me, I thought I didn't want to know Lexie when I first met her. But maybe, just maybe, you and Joey could turn out to be like Lexie and I did after I started to like her more. I'm not saying it will, but it could.

Mer was basically telling me the same stuff that Jackson was telling me.

Delilah: Jackson told me the same thing, and I yelled at him for suggesting that.
Meredith: look, this is your decision to make. Obviously, you have no obligation to them, but it's your choice to make if you want to know them.
Delilah: thanks Mer.