Chapter 89:

Trigger warning: gun violence

The past few days have been tough for me. Ever since Jackson kissed me, I've been avoiding him at all costs. I ignore his texts and phone calls, I try my best to avoid him at work even though it's pretty impossible.

I'm walking around the hospital and I squeal when I felt someone grab my arm and drag me into an on-call room. I look up and I see Jackson staring at me.

Jackson: Delilah, you can't keep avoiding me. We have to talk about this.
Delilah: Jackson, I can't—
Jackson: Lilah, please. You can't—

Jackson gets interrupted when I get a text. I look at my phone and see the text is from Mer.

Mer Bear ❤️: I need you. Come find me and Cris in the tunnels. It's super urgent.

Me: coming ❤️

Delilah: I have to go. Mer needs me.
Jackson: Lilah—
Delilah: look, w-we can talk later, okay? I have to go, Mer really needs me.

I quickly kiss Jackson on the lips then run off to meet Mer. Halfway there, I realize what I did and I freeze up.

Delilah: crap.

I shake off my nerves then I run to the tunnels. When I get there, I see Mer pacing and Cris just standing there.

Delilah: hey, I know you have major news Mer but I have something to tell you guys too. But Mer, you go since yours sound way more urgent.

Mer takes something out of her pocket and puts it in my hand. I look down at my palm and my eyes widen when I see a positive pregnancy test.

Delilah: oh my god. Mer, are you... are you serious? I-I'm gonna be a sister?
Meredith: you're gonna be a sister.

I felt tears of joy well up in my eyes and throw Mer into the biggest hug.

Delilah: I know you're scared of the idea of being a mom but I promise, you're gonna be an amazing mom. You're nothing like Ellis at all. You're ready Mer.
Meredith: thank God you're gonna be the godmother.

I pull away from Mer as my smile grows more.

Delilah: w-wait. Godmother? Really?
Meredith: I wouldn't want anyone else Lilah.

I start sniffling and I hug my best friend again.

Delilah: oh my god, I'm so happy!!
Meredith: okay, tell us what's wrong.
Delilah: it's nothing. We don't have to talk about it right now.
Meredith: no, we can talk about it. What's up?

I let out a sigh as I sit on one of the beds.

Delilah: a few night ago... Jackson kissed me.
M&C: he WHAT?!
Delilah: yep. And I kissed him back.
Meredith: he finally admitted his feelings for you?
Cristina: about damn time!
Meredith: okay, tell us everything.
Delilah: it was the day when we had Bobby Corso in the hospital. I was walking out of the hospital then Jackson ran up to me. I got a couple words out when he just grabbed my face and kissed me.
Cristina: wow, pretty boy is smooth.
Delilah: after we kissed, I... I ran off like a damn scared chicken.
M&C: you ran away?

I nod my head.

Cristina: why?

Meredith takes one look at me and immediately reads my face.

Meredith: you're scared of getting hurt again...

I nod my head.

Delilah: Jackson is... amazing. I know he would never hurt me like that, but...
Meredith: the last time you said it, you got cheated on.
Delilah: yeah. My insecurities get the best of me. I just... I don't want to get hurt.
Cristina: baby Shepherd, you shouldn't let that get to you. You're a good person.
Meredith: Cristina's right. You're probably the most pure hearted person I know. I don't know how we ended up being best friends but I love you.