Chapter 163:

Dad came over to my place to see me and eat breakfast with me before he heads off to DC one last time.

Delilah: I really wish I could come with you.
Dad: I know sweetheart, but you have surgeries.
Delilah: ugh!
Dad: don't worry hon, I'll be back before you know it.
Delilah: I know. But you know I don't like be apart from you. I'm the clingiest person ever.
Dad: don't worry sweetheart. You'll be fine.
Delilah: well, I should go.
Dad: yeah, I have to get going. Have a good day.
Delilah: call me, okay?
Dad: I will baby.

I pull my dad into a hug then he kisses my forehead before I go to work. When I get there, I walk with Alex.

Delilah: hey.
Alex: hey. You okay?

Alex throws his arm around my shoulder and I lean into his shoulder.

Delilah: my dad is going to DC one last time to deal with some loose ends and I miss him already.
Alex: don't worry Lilah. He'll be back before you know it and then you guys will be back to being the Shepherd Neuro duo.
Delilah: it'll be nice to have my dad back by my side. And hey, I still have you.
Alex: yeah, no duh.

I chuckle at my best friend as Maggie joins us. We walk together and as we pass the elevators, we spot Ethan from radiology.

Maggie: oh! Hey!

Ethan completely ignores her and walks into the elevator.

Maggie: did you see that?
Alex: see what?
Maggie: it was like he didn't even see me.
Alex: I was supposed to see a guy not see you?
Maggie: no, no. We went on a date– Ethan and I. It was a good date. We had fun. We talked for hours. We laughed. But then at the end of the date, there was no kissing.
Alex: and you're pissed.
Maggie: no, there wasn't even an attempt at kissing.
Alex: see, you're pissed if we try, you're pissed if we don't try.
Maggie: no, but then no phone call, no text, no, "hey, second date?". And now he is actively not seeing me.
Callie: hmm, I'm actively not seeing my cop anymore.

After the robbery accident, the commanding officer, Dan Pruitt, asked Callie out on a date. After the date, Callie called me and told me how bad it was.

Maggie: you guys went out already?
Callie: yep. We went on a date, it was bad. Well, at first, it wasn't that bad. He was all, "I save lives, and I wear a uniform". And then I realized I save lives, I wear a uniform, and I'm not boring. No second date for him.

I chuckle at Callie as she walks off.

Maggie: okay, so, uh, what is it? Tell me. Lay it out. Uh, am I hideous?
Delilah: not even.
Maggie: am I– am I– do I have bad breath? What is the problem here?
Alex: why me?
Maggie: because you're a guy.
Alex: exactly. I'm a guy.
Maggie: just tell me.
Alex: go away!

I chuckle at Alex as he walks away.

Maggie: you'll tell me, right? We're friends.
Delilah: Maggie, I think it would be best if you just talk to him. If he doesn't want to talk, you can talk and make him listen.

I pat Maggie on the back then I walk off.

-later-

I was paged into the ER and when I get there, I was shocked.

Delilah: oh wow. You weren't kidding Apes.
April: I need help.
Delilah: okay. Let's run a CBC chem 7 and get 2 units of blood ready to go.
April: what's the penis status?

It took everything in me not to laugh.

Edwards: dorsal veins look good.
Delilah: get it debrided and in saline gauze quickly. We need MRE pain meds! And a fentanyl 150 IV. And we need to pack him. Cellulose polymer.
April: gauze!