Chapter 70:

I was woken up at four in the morning by George breaking into my apartment and dragging me to Mer's house.

Delilah: you owe me coffee for this George. Why the hell are you even dragging me to Mer's?
George: Derek's mom is coming and Mer is freaking out and frankly, she needs—
Delilah: MY GRANDMA'S COMING?!
George: uh... yeah.
Delilah: step on it you fool!!

We make it to Mer's house and I bolt inside to see Alex and Sadie sitting with Mer who was clinging to a bottle of tequila like it was her lifeline.

Delilah: where's Izzie?
Izzie: I'm right here—

I grab Izzie's hand and we start cleaning the house.

Izzie: so George told you Derek's mom is coming?
Delilah: yep.
Izzie: you and your grandma close?
Delilah: she helped my dad raise me. Whenever my dad had school or work, she was the one who took care of me. She's the best woman I know. I am who I am today because of her. She's amazing, you'll like her.

We clean for about half an hour then run back to Mer.

Meredith: mothers don't love me. Mothers like bright and bubbly and happy and... Izzie. Mothers like Izzie. And Delilah too.
Izzie: they do. Mothers do love Izzie.
Delilah: Delilah Catherine Shepherd is loved by all mothers and she is proud of that. Okay, so Iz and I stashed all the tequila, took the condoms out of the cookie jar, and I replaced all your trashy magazines with back issues of the "Annals of Surgery", okay?
Izzie: does it smell musty in here?
George: my mom's house smells like peppermint. It's so homey.
Meredith: my house isn't homey?
Alex: I was raised in a hellhole. This place is a palace.
Meredith: why isn't my house homey George?!
George: I can't explain it. It's just a feeling.
Meredith: well, Izzie and Del can't fix a feeling.
Delilah: guys, she's freaking out. Just tell her something I can fix.
Alex: Rebecca peed on that couch cushion.
Delilah: eww! Gross dude.
Sadie: I've been sleeping there for weeks.
Meredith: thanks Alex. You're... a good friend.
Alex: you're welcome. Keep drinking.

I walk over to the couch and hand Izzie the cushion. From the corner of my eye, I see a very familiar leather jacket pass me and I knew it was Mark. I thought about chasing him down and interrogating him but I can do that in the morning. I see my dad walk in and I walk over to him.

Delilah: why did I have to hear from George and not you that grandma's coming to Seattle?
Dad: I was gonna tell you later. You know, when you've had coffee in your system.
Delilah: I just spent the last half an hour cleaning your house because I love grandma so much. You owe me big time mister.
Dad: yes sweetheart.

My dad chuckles at me as he kisses my forehead.

Delilah: Mer, my grandma is going to love you. And don't worry, I've got your back. As your best friend, I'll hype you up.
Meredith: thanks Del. You're... a really good friend.

I smile at my stressed out best friend and give her hand a squeeze.

-later in the morning-

I decided to stick with my dad today because he's been working with the prisoner who's on death row and considering what happened to my grandfather, he's been a bit uptight with the prisoner so I need to try my best to keep him calm.

Delilah: you doing okay dad? I know the prisoner has been stressing you out, and I know you've been thinking about grandpa a lot since he's been here.
Dad: I'll be fine.
Delilah: if you need me, I'm right here.
Dad: thanks baby.

We walk into the prison ward and I felt chills go down my spine. I look up and I see Meredith and my eyes widen when I see her hair in an alarmingly high ponytail.