Chapter 75:

Shortly after the wedding, Izzie made the decision to allow my father to perform another surgery. After Izzie had her surgery, the five of us stayed in her room to wait for her to wake up. I was sleeping on top of George with my head nuzzled in his chest while George had his arms wrapped tightly around my waist. Alex, Cris and I wake up when we hear the sound of Bailey walking into the room.

Bailey: any changes overnight?
C&D: no.

I hear a pager go off and I realize that it's Bailey's.

Bailey: it's the Chief. Somebody better make a coffee run. You all look like hell.

I poke George awake as Bailey leaves the room.

Delilah: Georgie, you have to be in surgery with the Chief in ten minutes.

George groans as I help him out of his chair.

George: Mer, will you let me know?
Meredith: yeah.
Delilah: yeah, let me know too Mer. I have rounds.

I grab George's hand then we walk out together.

George: Lilah, I... I need to tell you something really important. I was gonna tell Bailey first but I realized that I'd hate myself if I didn't tell you first because you're my best friend and I tell you everything.
Delilah: George, you're freaking me out a bit. What's going on?

George takes my hands in his and lets out a deep breath.

George: I enlisted in the army to become a trauma surgeon. I report for duty tomorrow.

My eyes grow as wide as saucers and my heart drops into my ass.

Delilah: I'm sorry... you WHAT?!

George pulls me around a corner where nobody was watching.

George: Lilah—
Delilah: George, you can't do this—
George: Lilah, I know you're gonna try and convince me not to do this, but hear me out. I feel like... like I've finally found my purpose in life. Look, after I failed my intern exam, after my divorce with Callie, I felt like my whole life was falling apart. But this... this feels right Del. I finally feel like my life is on track, I haven't felt this way in a long time.

I let out a shaky breath as tears blur my vision. I let out a sniffle as I cover my mouth with my hand to prevent myself from crying. I look down at my feet as tears stream down my face.

George: Lilah... Lilah, please don't cry.

I felt George put his finger under my chin and lift my chin to make me look at him with tears in my eyes. I start sniffling again as George wipes away my tears with his thumb.

George: Lilah, I need you to be okay with this.
Delilah: George, I—
George: Lilah... please. You're my best friend, I need my best friend to give me her blessing before I go. Del, you're my best friend, my soulmate... my person. You're my family Del, please... please be okay with this.

Tears blur my vision again as I throw myself in my best friend's arm and I bury my face in his chest to muffle my sobs.

George: shhh.

George strokes my hair as I cry into his chest. After a minute, I pull away and wipe my tears away. I look up at my best friend and cup his face in my hands with tears in my eyes.

Delilah: I hate the idea of you leaving me. But... I want you to be happy. If this is what feels right, then... you have my blessing Georgie-kins. I am... so damn proud of you George O'Malley. You are my hero and I am so so proud of you.

George lets out an airy laugh as he kisses my forehead.

George: I promise... I'll come back to you.
Delilah: you promise?
George: I promise. And until I come back, we can write to each other every single week. Okay?
Delilah: ... okay.