Chapter 51:

Everyone was laughing as I was attempting to write Cristina's vows on her hand.

Delilah: okay, these wedding vows are not all gonna fit on here.
Cristina: then write smaller.
Delilah: okay, stay still please. Vow just turned into cow.
Izzie: you don't need vows on your hand. When you get up there, just speak from the heart.
Cristina: Izzie, the heart is an organ. It pumps, it circulates blood, it gets clogged from time to time. It does not, however, speak. It doesn't have tiny little lips on it.
Delilah: dude, that would be fricking hilarious.
Izzie: well, you're all "glass totally empty".
Cristina: I'm gonna like being married. It's the wedding part that's ridiculous.

Everyone's pagers go off except for Cristina's.

Izzie: oh! Party's over.
Callie: damn.
Cristina: hey, mine didn't go off. Piece of crap.
Meredith: you can do this, right?
Cristina: become a piece of chattel? Sure. Looking forward to it.
Delilah: I mean, no matter what, you're walking down that aisle today. We need you to go down that aisle.

I get in my car and I drive to the hospital. I quickly change in the locker room then I try to find my dad. I find my dad and Mark coming in together.

Delilah: hey. What's going on?
Dad: you were paged too?
Delilah: yeah, most of the interns were. Except for Cristina.

We approach Bailey who was at a nurses station.

Bailey: hey. They found the fourth climber. Vitals are stabilizing after fluids, but—
Mark: I thought he was dead.
Dad: he was according to his friends. Did the CT show a bleed?
Bailey: uh, we haven't done a CT yet.
Dad: I don't understand, you said there's a head trauma.
Bailey: yeah, there's been a little head trauma. Ice axe to the head.
Mark: what the hell happened up on that mountain?
Der&Del: that's a good question.

Mark splits off from my dad and I and we talk to the hikers about their friend.

Dale: they recovered Lonnie's body?
Delilah: not his body. He's alive.
Dad: why don't you tell us what really happened up there on the mountain?
Jack: we're half way up this ice wall. There's a... there's a ledge a couple hundred feet above us. We figured we'd set up the tents, wait out the storm. Only Lonnie's insisting we go down the mountain.
Dale: I told him we gotta dig in, sit tight. He started freaking out, keeps saying down's the way to go. And then he started climbing down. We were tied together.
Andy: and just like that... we're falling. I swing out with my ice axe, just trying to catch a rock. And I clip Lonnie in the back of the head. Axe just... snags. We thought he was dead.
Jack: it was an accident.

We get the climber ready for surgery and Burke, dad and I start scrubbing in.

Burke: I'm thinking four hours tops to repair this heart, if all goes well.
Dad: you're a lucky man Burke. Cristina's great. She's there, she's sure. She's willing to commit. You're a lucky man.
Burke: and you're not.
Delilah: Burke, in this moment, I'm speaking to you as Cristina's best friend and her person. I'm so excited to see you and Cristina commit to each other, I really am. But, I want to make one thing very very clear. If you ever do anything to hurt Cristina, I will make your death look like an accident.

My dad chuckles at me while Burke looks at me in shock as Mark walks into the room.

Mark: there he is! T-minus five hours. And how's the best man? Up to the challenge? I was an excellent best man.
Dad: you know, the worst case scenario is I sleep with your wife in ten years.
Burke: okay.

My dad and I walk into the OR and start operating on Lonnie. George enters the OR later on.

George: poor guy... he just wanted to climb a mountain, and he ends up with an axe in his head.
Dad: well, he shouldn't have tried to turn back. The group is going up, you go with th group. Okay, drill please.
George: he panicked. You have a right to turn back if you're scared.
Dad: no you don't. You chose to climb a mountain. You can't change your mind in the middle of the climb. Okay.
Delilah: okay. So, we pull it out now?
Dad: yeah. But the axe went in as they fell, so there will be some tearing. It should be a shallow wound, and it should come out easily. You ready?
George: yep.
Delilah: yeah.
Dad: alright everybody, here we go. Ready? Okay. 1,2,3.