Chapter 146:

I'm walking through the hospital with my dad and aunt Amy. She's decided to stay in Seattle for a bit and she managed to get hospital privileges from the Chief. Today is a very special because I will be working alongside my dad and Amy on a conjoined twins case.

Dad: the Coopers chose to do their surgery here because we've done so many of them now we're getting good at it.
Delilah: this one is a little bit tricky because it involves the brain.
Dad: are you ready for this?
Amy: third time, yeah.
Dad: I'm just saying, this is a very big surgery.
Amy: you asked me to do it. If you're having second thoughts about me, just—
Dad: it's too late for that now, isn't it?

I roll my eyes at my bickering family before I smile at the conjoined twins.

Delilah: hi! You must be Annie and Liz.
Annie: nothing gets past you, huh?
Liz: be nice.
Annie: I am. It's just unlikely they're gonna confuse us with another patient.
Dad: Dr. Kenzie?
Dr. Kenzie: yes. The girls' pediatrician.
Liz: but for the record, we're 25 and he's no longer our doctor. He's more like our...
Annie: groupie.
Liz: I was gonna say family. Our mom died a few years ago, and since then, he's really been...
Annie: there for us.
Dad: well, it's nice to finally meet you. I'm Dr. Shepherd.
Amy: and so am I. His sister.
Dad: mm.
Delilah: me too. Dr. Avery-Shepherd. I'm his daughter.
Dad: mm.
Amy&D: good looking doctors run in the family.

I chuckle along with my aunt Amy.

Dad: and these are some of the roughly 40 people who will be working on you. I'm not gonna ask you to learn their names.
Annie: maybe you should. We could take a test, before and after surgery. See if you cut through our memory centers.
Liz: will you stop saying things like that?
Annie: I'm just keeping it real.
Liz: oh, you're impossible.

After we get the twins admitted, we go over their scans.

Dad: these are the most complex brain scans you will ever see.
Amy: as you will see, these women share brain matter.
Delilah: separating them is made even more complicated by the fact that there is one shared sagittal sinus supplying blood to the brain.
Dad: first, we need to determine which lucky twin gets to keep that, and the other twin gets a graft.
Delilah: Dr. Grey and Dr. Webber will harvest the saphenous vein, which will be used as the new sagittal sinus. Meanwhile, Dr. Torres will be making a mild of the cranial bone flap so they will be able to replace the missing part of the skull, which they will cover with a flap, but Dr. Avery and Dr. Hudson will place skin expanders so they will be able to fully cover the entire defect.
Dad: we need to move quickly and meticulously to turn one brain into two with the least amount of deficit.
Delilah: if this surgery scares you, if you're not up to the challenge, let us know. We need everybody confident in there.

Nobody backed down so I smile.

Delilah: get ready.

-later-

I'm walking around with Jackson hand in hand when Dylan approaches us.

Dylan: hey guys.
Jackson: hey man.
Delilah: hey bro beans. What's up?
Dylan: I wanna talk to you guys about something important.
Delilah: what's up?
Dylan: I shouldn't be telling so early, but... April's pregnant.

Jackson and I look at Dylan in shock.

Delilah: oh my god.
Jackson: you're serious?
Dylan: I'm telling you guys because... I want you guys to be the godparents.
Delilah: wait, seriously?
Dylan: Jackson, you're my best friend. And Lilah, you're my pseudo sister in-law. I trust that if anything happens to my kid, you guys will take care of them.