Chapter 48:

Life has been utter chaos. I have been studying day in and day out for the intern exam. The intern exam is the most stressful test any surgeon could ever take. If I pass, I get to become a resident. And if I fail, I have to do my internship all over again. Luckily, I have my flash cards to help me. And I also have my dad's flash cards from when he was an intern so I feel confident even though I'm super nervous. I'm in Cristina and Burke's apartment with all of my friends for a study session.

Alex: what are the signs of a central line infection?
Meredith: puss, redness and fever.
Alex: what's Kahn's syndrome?
Meredith: wait, wait, I know this...
Izzie: tick tock dude.
Meredith: um...
George: cracking under the pressure?
Meredith: no! Um... hypocortolis... cortism—
Delilah: primary hypro dostrolonism! Yes! Out of the chair Grey, my turn.
Izzie: no, it's my turn.
Delilah: no it's not Stevens. Beat it.

Burke approaches Cristina with cake. Izzie takes my seat.

Delilah: bitch!
Izzie: go go!
George: what is the strongest layer of the small bowel?
Izzie: damn it, damn it, damn it, damn it.
George: it is not snot.
Izzie: submucousa.
George: yes!
Delilah: damn it!
Cristina: wait wait. How do you know that? Are you studying with the wife's cards?
Meredith: what cards?
Delilah: Callie was ranked number one in her year after this test.
Cristina: she has legendary flash cards. And so does baby Shepherd.
Delilah: yeah. My flash cards are laminated!
Cristina: not to mention she has her dad's cards.
Izzie: so don't need the flash cards. We are independently brilliant.
George: dream team.
Cristina: yeah yeah, I wanna hurl. Out of the seat.
Alex: no no, my turn,
C&D: oh come on!

Burke walks up to Cristina with more cake.

Burke: this is the lemon, might be a little tart.
Izzie: what is atenicaratosis?
Alex: uh... atenicaratosis is, uh... pre-malignant lesion.
Cristina: in old people!
A&D: in anyone!
Cristina: baby, I don't care. I mean, are Alex and baby Shepherd right or am I?
Burke: you don't care? Well, I'll get another bride.
Cristina: I love it. I love all cakes. Now break the tie!
Burke: Karev and Shepherd are right.
Alex: yes!!

Alex and I share a high five then we spend the whole night studying and laughing.

-next morning-

I ended up crashing on Cristina's couch last night after studying. I walk into the hospital fixing my hair. I find my friends going into a conference room. When I walk in, I see Burke with a ton of cake samples on the table.

Cristina: um, what are you doing?
Burke: the bakery wants me to make a decision by tomorrow so if you want tell me your favourite by then, that would be great.

I start looking through cakes as Burke walks out of the room.

Cristina: cakes and little place cards? Okay, he's turning into a girl.
Izzie: I think it's sweet. He obviously cared about this stuff.
Alex: this white one tastes pretty good.
Delilah: ooo. Gimme gimme gimme!

Alex chuckles at me then passes me a bit of cake. I take bites of each cake.

Delilah: wow, these are all really good. This chocolate one is the best one though.
Meredith: I should bring a piece to your dad, right? That's what good girlfriends do. Take their boyfriends cake and communicate.
Alex: no, the best ones just keep all that stuff to themselves.
Cristina: did you bring Callie's cards?
George: uh... no.
Cristina: no cake for you.

I bop Alex's nose with some frosting and I giggle as Bailey enters the room.

Meredith: Dr. Bailey, I saw a hemiglossectomy on the board. Can I scrub in?
Bailey: no, you're not doing surgeries today.
Meredith: what?
Bailey: your intern exams are in two weeks. You need to spend every available minute studying for them. Believe me, when you won't have to repeat your year as interns, you'll be thanking me for this opportunity. So Grey and Yang, you're doing scut. O'Malley and Stevens, you'll be joining me in the clinic. Karev, you're with Ava. You too Shepherd.
Alex: oh, I don't always have to be on the case.