Chapter 110:

I'm on my dad's service today and I'm working with him and my aunt Amy who flew in to Seattle in need of dad's help for a case. When I walk into the room, I see my dad and Amy talking.

Delilah: you better not be talking about the patient without me.
Amy: Ellie!

I throw my aunt into a big hug.

Delilah: I've missed you!!
Amy: I missed you more kiddo!! Derek, how did you make such a hot kid?

I chuckle at my aunt and hug her again.

Dad: Lilah, tell your delusional aunt that we can't operate on this.

I look at the scans and my eyes widen.

Amy: Derek, you haven't even looked.
Dad: Amy, I am telling you, it is unresectable. Let it go.
Amy: I came all the way to LA to show you this. You could spend more than 30 seconds.
Dad: we are looking right at it. Delilah, talk to your aunt please.
Delilah: aunt Amy, I hate to agree with my dad but he kind of has a point. I mean, it's a gliosarcoma that's invaded the carotid artery. If you try to remove it, the patient will stroke out.
Amy: your dad is being a jackass.
Delilah: Amy—
Dad: Delilah, please excuse us.
Amy: no. Delilah, stay. I need backup.
Dad: fine. You just got out of rehab. I want you to get on your feet, but you can't help her.

My aunt Amy recently relapsed into drugs again but she went into rehab and now she's better. I hated that my dad was using her relapse against her. I love my dad, but he can be an idiot.

Aunt Amy pulls a picture out of the file and hangs it up.

Amy: look at his face. His name is Mason. This gliosarcoma belongs to his mother Erica. He's a great kid. I don't know him that well, but he seems great. I do know his dad well. His name is Cooper, and he works with me and he is a good guy. He is a good dad, which means he is the one who is gonna have to tell Mason that his mom is dead, that he doesn't have a mom anymore because we didn't do anything.
Dad: you tell Cooper you're sorry. You tried. Let it go. I have a surgery.
Delilah: dad...

I sigh as my dad walks out of the room.

Amy: please tell me you're going to try and convince your dad to do this.
Delilah: you know how stubborn he is Amy. But, I can try. Listen, I have to go.

I kiss aunt Amy on the cheek then run off to find Jackson.

Delilah: sorry, was trying to keep things mellow between my dad and his sister.
Jackson: Amy's here?
Delilah: yeah, she flew in 'cause she needed help on a case, but my dad is being stubborn and not helping her. Anyways, hit me Avery.
Jackson: 65 year old woman enters the ER in shock. Presents with a pulsating, expanding abdominal mass. Go!
Delilah: ruptured triple A. I would take the patient straight to the OR and access the peritoneal cavity through a vertical midline incision.
Jackson: nice job baby.
Meredith: you guys are studying for the oral boards in the middle of the day?
Delilah: just another benefit to having a study buddy who also happens to be my boyfriend.
Jackson: you should get one.
Dylan: April's mine.
Meredith: I have one. It's just that my stupid study buddy's too busy trying to save her stupid marriage to actually help me study.
Delilah: you hear anything from Cris yet?
Meredith: nothing. You?
Delilah: nope. I heard from her last night, but not today.
Alex: you know what's better than a study buddy? A study lackey. Check it. Hey you. Brown haired girl, you're up.

I chuckle when I see an intern approach Alex. Of course, only Alex would hire interns to help him study.

Morgan: uh, trauma incident or a surgical situation?
April: you made your interns come up with study questions?
Alex: surprise me.

I chuckle at my best friend.

Morgan: a 12 year old boy fell off his bike, hitting his abdomen against the handlebars. Complains of progressive abdominal pain and is short of breath...