Chapter 41:

I didn't want to go to work today. I just wanted to call in sick and cry all day but I have a job to do. I somehow manage to get myself out of bed and I start getting ready for work. Once I looked decent, I grab my things and drive to work. As I park my car, I take a minute to cry a little bit. After a couple minutes, I wipe my face with a tissue then walk into the hospital. I didn't realize that I was running late until I looked at my watch. I speed walk to the locker room then change into my scrubs. Once I was changed, I run around to find Bailey. I end up finding her with Meredith, Cristina and Mark.

Bailey: where the hell is Shepherd?
Delilah: I'm so sorry I'm late. Traffic was the worst.
Bailey: you're fine... you alright? Your eyes are red and your voice is scratchy.

Crap, my eyes are still red from crying and I probably lost my voice from screaming all night.

Delilah: I'm fine Dr. Bailey. It's nothing, I promise.

I could feel Meredith, Cristina and Mark's eyes on me but I ignore them.

Bailey: ... alright. Dr. Montgomery has requested you to be on her service today. She's waiting in exam room 3.
Delilah: okay.

I walk off to the exam room to find Addison. When I get there, Addison is waiting in front of the door.

Delilah: you requested me for today?
Addison: I did. I already paged Dr. Torres for an Ortho... are you okay? Have you been crying?
Delilah: I'm fine.
Addison: and what happened to your voice?
Delilah: I'm fine. Can we just do our job?
Addison: ... of course.

I walk into the exam room and I introduce myself.

Addison: Jamie Carr. She slipped in the shower this morning. Jamie, this is Dr. Shepherd. She's on my service today.
Jamie: hi.
Delilah: hi there Jamie. Don't worry, I promise you're in good hands with Dr. Montgomery.
Jamie: are you alright? Your voice seems to be gone.
Delilah: I'm fine.

Then, I see Callie come into the room.

Callie: I got a page?
Delilah: Jamie Carr, slipped and fell in the shower this morning.
Jamie: I can't see my own feet. I did this.
Callie: nasty break. She doesn't have any meds for the pain?
Addison: she refused, she's toughing it out.
Callie: oh, don't tough it out. Just say yes.
Delilah: I agree with Dr. Torres.

Callie looks at me in concern but I ignore it.

Jamie: but the baby... I know Dr. Montgomery said it was alright, but I'll suffer. Is he okay? He was kicking like crazy, but...
Addison: it's possible that he's just sleeping.
Ted: see... our son sleeps. He's sleeping Jamie.
Jamie: do I need a cast?
Callie: definitely. But first, we need to straighten the bones out. Then, we'll put your arm in this fancy sling and use gravity to help align the bones.
Addison: will you excuse me? I just need to...

Addison runs out of the room then Callie and I step out of the room.

Callie: what's wrong Delilah?
Delilah: nothing Callie. I'm fine.
Callie: that's a load of crap. Your eyes are slightly red, your voice is pretty much almost gone and you look really sad. You're George's best friend and my favourite friend of George's and I consider you my friend too so I'm asking you as a friend, what's wrong?
Delilah: Callie, I really like you and I do consider you my friend as well but I really don't want to talk about it because if I talk about it, I'll start to cry and I want to at least try to make it through today without crying even though I know for a fact that I will be crying a lot throughout the day.

Callie sighs at me then nods her head before giving me a quick hug.

Callie: if you do want to talk about it, I'm here.
Delilah: thanks Callie. We should go find Addison.