Chapter 102:

Callie's recovery has been long and difficult but she's been doing really well and so has Sofia, my goddaughter. After a long and hard recovery, she was able to go home. We were also able to get Adele into the trial.

I'm sitting in a meeting listening to Alex talk about the African kids he brought in. I look at my best friend with pride written all over my face as Alex goes on.

Alex: this is Zola. She's 6 months old, born with Spina Bifida...
Cristina: adorable African children, shameless ego stroking– Karev is a genius.
Jackson: yeah, he's single-handedly stealing Chief resident out from under all of us. And we're helping him do it. I mean, we can't exactly refuse to treat little sick kids without making ourselves look bad.
Delilah: you're going to do it anyways because it's your job young man, you understand?
Jackson: ... yes ma'am.

I smirk at my boyfriend as he kisses my cheek.

April: he is a genius. Or... (African dialect). That's what they say in Swahili.
Cristina: well, he only has a shot because I've been benched. The playing field has been leveled. You're all welcome.
Meredith: Lilah and I's Alzheimer's trial kicks African orphan ass.
Delilah: hate to sound braggy, but it's true. It kicks all of your asses.
Jackson: I agree with my girlfriend.
Delilah: thanks baby.
Webber: do you want to keep it down back there? I'm trying to listen to what appears to be the next Chief resident talking.
Alex: before we go, I just want to say thank you to all of you for your participation. It, uh, truly means more than I could say.

Everyone in the room starts clapping, including myself. Everyone starts leaving and I approach Alex.

Delilah: I am so proud of you Alex. You're doing an amazing thing.
Alex: thanks D.

Alex kisses my forehead then I leave the room with him and I go off to find Teddy with my African kid. Although, I'm competing with Alex for Chief resident, he's still my best friend and I'm going to help him any way that I can.

-later-

I'm sitting in a room with Jackson working on a plum as an example for my African kid while Jackson is cleaning mouse cages and ranting.

Jackson: I mean, you'd think being on the Chief's research project would help in the race for Chief resident. You might even think it'd make me a contender. Only I'm not saving little kids or people with Alzheimer's like my incredibly hot girlfriend. I'm cleaning up mouse poop.
Delilah: love, can you hand me that basin?
Jackson: wanna hear my conversation with the Chief every morning? "Avery, how are the mice?". "Oh, they're fine Chief. They're runninng on their wheels, they're eating their cheese". If I worked at a pet store, I'd be employee of the month by now. But I'm a surgeon, babysitting a bunch of mice.
Delilah: until you get FDA approval. Okay, which, I'm sure you're gonna be working on humans any day now. You need to stop complaining lovey. Now grab me another plum.
Jackson: why are you peeling these things apart anyways love?
Delilah: I'm practicing. Since my kid's skin has grown directly onto the heart muscle, I'm gonna be helping Teddy remove the adhesions without puncturing the heart.

I look over at Jackson who was smirking at me. He takes my plum and eats it.

Delilah: hey! Don't eat my adhesions.

Jackson and I start laughing as I take the plum away.

Delilah: I love you.
Jackson: I love you too baby.

I press my forehead against Jackson's then give him a kiss.

Jackson: so, I found a pretty nice place.
Delilah: yeah?
Jackson: it's close to the hospital, it's five minutes away from Meredith's house, it has a beautiful bay window for you... it's perfect about us baby.
Delilah: I love it.
Jackson: I'm gonna put the deposit in tomorrow.
Delilah: that sounds great sweetie.
Jackson: this is happening. We're moving in together.