Chapter 53:

I wake up to my phone ringing. I rub my eyes before I check the caller ID. I answer the phone immediately when I see it was George calling me.

Me- Georgie?
George- Del, I need to tell you something and you have to swear not to get mad at me or yell at me, okay? I'm really freaking out and I need my best friend. I need you Del.
Me- okay okay Georgie-kins, calm down. What's going on?
George- it's Izzie.
Me- what about Izzie?
George- the night of the wedding, she... she told me that she loved me.
Me- SHE WHAT?!
George- I know, know! I didn't know what to say before but now... now I love her too—
Me- WHAT?!
George- please don't yell at me.
Me- she... I don't...
George- I feel bad for Callie but I can't help it. It's Izzie.
Me- George, you know I love you with all my heart but Callie is my friend too. You have to tell her the truth. Callie deserves the truth. The best thing to do is tell her the truth before anything happens between you and Izzie.
George- yeah... about that...

I let out a gasp at the realization that I've had in my mind the whole time.

Me- GEORGE O'MALLEY, YOU DID NOT!! YOU CHEATED ON CALLIE?! HOW COULD YOU!!
George- Del, please don't yell at me. I was really drunk, and I—

I get out of bed and I start pacing.

Me- YOU DON'T GET TO MAKE THAT EXCUSE GEORGE!! BEING DRUNK IS NO EXCUSE TO CHEAT ON YOUR WIFE!!
George- Delilah, please—
Me- NO! George, you have NO idea how horrible it feels to be cheated on. Believe me, I know what it's like!! What did Callie do to you to deserve this?
George- Delilah, I feel horrible. I didn't mean—
Me- that's a load of crap George! I can't comfort you and I can't be on your side.

I hang up on George and I let out a groan of frustration as I get ready for work. I drive to the hospital and I put my stuff in my cubby before running off. I find my dad with the Chief.

Delilah: morning. Everything alright Chief?
Dad: he's a junkie.
Delilah: ah. Sounds about right.

Mark comes up to us as the Chief walks away.

Mark: what's wrong with the Chief?
Der&Del: he's a junkie.
Mark: him? You're the one who looks all strung out.
Dad: I'm just tired.
Mark: let me guess. You and Meredith are back together and you've been up all night doing the horizontal salsa.
Dad: mambo, horizontal mambo. And Meredith and I, we're just friends.
Delilah: dad!
Mark: sexy friends?
Delilah: uncle Mark!
Dad: you're like the worst, most juvenile human being I've ever met in my life.
Delilah: I second that.
Mark: you know, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.
Dad: how many nurses have you slept with this week?
Mark: that's not a problem man, that's an adventure.
Delilah: how am I related to you?

Mark chuckles at me as I walk away from my boys. I get a page to the ER so I bolt down to the ER. As I grab a trauma gown, I see George run up next to me.

George: hey.
Delilah: don't talk to me until you've talked to your wife.
George: Del, I'm going to. Tonight.
Delilah: George, I really don't want to be mad at you. You're my best friend and I love you, but you did a really horrible thing so... don't.

I find Callie in the middle of the chaotic ER.

Delilah: hey Callie, where do you need me?
Callie: you and Stevens are with me.
Delilah: oh joy.
Callie: a gas main blew in an apartment building.
Delilah: oh god.

Callie hands me the chart and I page my interns as we walk into the trauma room where an older man was waiting for us. Mark walks into the room shortly after.