Chapter 179:

I'm walking through the halls with Jackson shortly after we brought our kids to daycare.

Jackson: do you know who you're nominating for the research grant?
Delilah: I mean, Edwards has a fair shot at it. But I think I'm gonna nominate Carlson. He shows a lot of promise and I've always had good faith in him.
Jackson: do you know if Blake applied?
Delilah: even if she did apply, I wouldn't nominate her.

Jackson sighs at me.

Delilah: is there a problem Jackson?
Jackson: Delilah, baby, you know I love you, but I think it's time that you stop being so harsh on Blake. Yes, she couldn't save your dad that night, but hating her isn't going to bring him back. Your dad wouldn't want you holding this grudge.

I knew in my heart that Jackson was right. But I didn't want to admit it to him or else he would never let me hear the end of it.

Delilah: my dad was my best friend Jackson... and he's gone because of a mistake she made.
Jackson: I know baby. But it's hard to hold a grudge.

I get called down to the ER and I run down to help.

Delilah: what's up?
Nurse: incoming trauma. Car accident downtown.

I grab a trauma gown and run into the ambulance bay as the ambulance pulls up. I run up as the doors open.

Delilah: talk to me Nicole.
Nicole: Joey Mitchell, 16 years old. Major blunt force trauma to the head. Multiple bone fractures and lacerations to the head, face and abdomen.
Delilah: alright, let's page Alex Karev and Callie Torres stat, and let's get him into trauma one.

I start wheeling the kid inside.

Joey: m... mom.
Delilah: Joey, sweetheart, you're in a hospital right now. My name is Delilah, I'm going to take really good care of you sweetie. You just stay with me, okay? Can you do that for me?

Joey slowly nods his head as we wheel him into the trauma room.

Delilah: I'm gonna need a trauma series.

I see Alex walk in with Callie and DeLuca.

Delilah: DeLuca, I need a trauma series stat and page Dr. Avery. GO!

DeLuca bolts out of the room.

Callie: talk to me Lilah.
Delilah: Joey Mitchell, 16 years. Major blunt force trauma to the head, multiple bone fractures and lacerations to the head, face and abdomen. I paged Jackson as well. Alex, get in here.

Alex stands next to me and examines Joey.

Alex: I got decreased breath sounds on the right.
Delilah: his right pupil is blown. Might have a brain bleed. We need to get him into the OR right away.

Just as I finish my thought, Jackson walks into the room.

Jackson: what we got?
Delilah: 16 year old boy with lacerations on his face, head and abdomen. Major car accident downtown. We need to take him up to the OR right now. Let's move.

We start wheeling the kid up to surgery. Once we had him in the OR, we scrub and start the surgery.

-later-

When I got paged about Joey's family, I had Amy tap in for me while I talk to the mom.

Delilah: Mrs. Mitchell.

I see the mom look up at me from her seat in the waiting room and she quickly approaches me. She looked a lot like Joey, and for some reason... she looked like me, and I had a weird feeling, but I ignore it and focus on Joey.