Chapter 35:

I ended up getting very limited sleep due to Izzie locking herself in the bathroom. It's the next morning and right now, everyone is standing in the hall in front of the bathroom door trying to get Izzie to come out.

Alex: Izzie. Izzie, come on!
George: okay, she's been in there all night. We have to do something.
Everyone: yeah.

Then, everyone stares at Meredith and I.

Meredith: why are you all looking at us?
Delilah: yeah, why?
Cristina: well, this is familiar territory for you.

I tilt my head in confusion.

Meredith: there is nothing familiar about this. Nothing. Unfamiliar. Denny died, the man she loved died.
Delilah: and why are you guys staring at me? I'm all happy and cheerful and crap.
Cristina: exactly. You know how to make anyone feel better without trying baby Shepherd. You make our dark and twisty... light and... not twisty.

I let out a laugh for the first time since last night.

Cristina: see? My point has been proven.
Meredith: dark and twisty?
Cristina: the mother with the Alzheimer's thing, and the father that you don't talk to...
Alex: the tequila thing, and the inappropriate men thing...
George: you are dark and twisty inside Meredith, and now Izzie is dark and twisty inside.
Meredith: so, now all of a sudden, I'm the president of people with crappy lives?
George: seriously, we have to do something. Someone has to go in there.

George ends up going in and I go into the kitchen with Cristina and Meredith. I sit by the counter with Cristina while Meredith starts making sandwiches. Cristina starts reading a magazine and I look at my phone, hoping that Theo will call me.

Cristina: you look stressed baby Shepherd.
Delilah: Theo and I got into a massive fight last night before the prom and I left him a message last night and he hasn't called me back. Should I be worried that he hasn't called?
Cristina: don't worry about it baby Shepherd. If he really loves you, he'll call you.

I sigh then lean my head on Cristina's shoulder as I keep looking at my phone every ten seconds.

Cristina: why are we making sandwiches again?
Meredith: it's what you do when someone dies. You cook.
Cristina: yeah. I know what to do when someone dies. I'm a Jew, I know food and death. It's Shivah.
Delilah: hold on, is it still Shivah even if she's catholic?
Cristina: well, Shivah's what I know how to do. So yeah, it's Shivah. And if we're sitting Shivah for Denny, then we should order in cause making sandwiches is not the same as cooking.
Meredith: sandwiches are comfort food.
Cristina: what's wrong with you?
Meredith: everything with me is fine. It's Izzie we're worried about.

I see a very guilty look on her face and I knew she was lying.

Delilah: you are lying your ass off Mer.
Cristina: what did you do?
Meredith: Denny died, Burke got shot. Let's just have some perspective and remember that what is a tiny slightly small—
Cristina: whatever, spit it out.

I analyze Meredith's face again and once I realized the look she had on her face, I groaned.

Delilah: oh, Mer! You slept with my dad. Again?! Really Mer?
Meredith: ah! How... what... how did...

I raise my eyebrows at Meredith.

Delilah: first off Mer, I'm smart. And second, I know the face you make every time you did something with my dad. So out with it.
Meredith: I– yeah, I lost my panties last night.

I shudder at the sentence that came out of my best friend's mouth. I send a text to my dad to let him know that I'm not coming to work to keep an eye on Izzie.