Chapter 103:

Today is my meeting with Owen for Chief resident and to say I was nervous was an understatement. Right now, I'm walking around with Dylan and Scotty to calm my nerves down.

Delilah: what if I say something really stupid in there?
Dylan: you won't.
Scotty: you deserve to be Chief resident Ellie. Not only are you doing an amazing Alzheimer's clinical trial and kicking ass at it, by the way, but you are the most hardworking, intelligent, and badass resident in the whole hospital. Everyone here knows that you deserve it.
Delilah: I can do this... I can do this.
Scotty: you're gonna do great. Just be yourself boo. And trust me, Owen knows who you are.

I take a deep breath to calm myself down.

Jackson: babe!

I smile when I see my boyfriend approach me.

Delilah: hey sweetie. What's up?
Jackson: I wanna talk to you about the Chief's trial.
Delilah: what's up?
Jackson: I dropped out of it.
Dylan: dude, are you kidding?!
Jackson: I had to dude.
Dylan: why?!
Delilah: because of all the awards it could bring... including the one with his last name on it.

Jackson nods his head.

Dylan: oh god, I didn't even think...
Jackson: it's fine.
Delilah: I totally understand lovey. You have my support no matter what.
Jackson: I love you.

I give Jackson a quick kiss.

Delilah: I have to go into my meeting with Owen.
Jackson: good luck love.

I sit down and wait for my meeting.

Delilah: I can do this.
Owen: Shepherd.

I stand up, take a deep breath then I walk into the conference room with Owen.

Owen: how're you feeling Shep?
Delilah: I'm feeling good. Dad and I are in the process of getting our second wave of trial patients in and it's going really well.
Owen: you also did the clinical trial on gliomas, correct?
Delilah: correct.
Owen: you and your father make a very good team.
Delilah: I'd like to think so.
Owen: I can't lie to you Shep, I think you'd make a great Chief resident. But, I wanna know why you think you'd make a good Chief resident.
Delilah: I can't lie to you Owen, I don't have some big plan. I have the Alzheimer's trial with Mer and my dad, but that's it. But, what I can tell you is that I'm a great team player, I'm organized, and I'm hardworking.
Owen: I know who you are Shepherd. You're the hardest working person I know. You have a lot of potential. You would be a great Chief resident.
Delilah: thank you Owen.

I continue on with my interview with Owen and honestly, I feel good about my chances. After my meeting, I walk out and I see Alex waiting.

Owen: I'll be with you in a minute Karev. It was good talking to you Shep.

I smile at Owen before he goes back into the conference room for a bit.

Delilah: good luck in there Alex.

I was about to walk off when Alex stops me.

Alex: Lilah!

I turn around and look at Alex.

Delilah: yeah?

Alex stands there silently looking at me.

Delilah: Alex... is everything okay? You've been acting kinda strange lately. Are you alright?
Alex: uh... yeah. Yeah, I'm fine.
Delilah: is there something you need to tell me?
Alex: you know what... it's really not that important, now that I think of it.

I tilt my head in confusion.

Delilah: are you sure?
Alex: positive. See you later.

Alex kisses my forehead then walks into the conference room.