Chapter 167:

Today is my first day back to work and to say I was nervous was a gigantic understatement.

My heart was pounding out of my chest as I enter the Attendings lounge. I change into my scrubs and lab coat then I look down at my scrub cap. My dad gave it to me a couple years ago. It had panda bears on it. Growing up, my dad always called me his little panda bear. I walk out of the lounge and go straight to the OR board. I was happy to see my name on the board next to Jackson. I check the time and realize that it was almost time to go into surgery so I bolt to the OR.

3rd Person POV:

Later, we see Meredith, Maggie, Amelia, Callie and Alex by the OR board waiting to see the new batch of interns.

Alex: it's about damn time I saw my best friend's name back on that board.

Word got around fast about Delilah's return to Seattle and to Grey Sloan Memorial and everyone was beyond excited to see her.

My POV:

Jackson told me that the new batch of interns were gonna be coming in soon so I bolt to the OR board and I was happy to see Mer with aunt Amy, Maggie, Alex and Callie. After being away for a year, the one thing that I was excited for was to see my friends... my family.

Delilah: are they here yet?

Everyone whips their heads in my directions and their eyes grow wide.

Callie: Lilah!

Callie walks towards me and throws me into a big hug.

Delilah: hey Cal.

Callie hugs me for a good minute then Maggie pulls her off me to give me a hug.

Maggie: welcome back.

Maggie pulls away and I see my aunt Amy. I haven't spoken to her in a year and I feel guilty for everything. I never called her about my dad. I never called her after I fled to New York. I wasn't there for her.

I give Amy a small smile and she reciprocates one back.

Arizona: it's happening! The baby chicks and ducks are here!

While I was away, Jackson told me about the new nickname for the interns, which made me laugh.

I follow the gang into the OR gallery and wait for Webber to come in with the new interns. The second Webber walks in with the new interns, flashbacks of my first day of internship come flooding into my head. It seemed like only yesterday when I was an intern. Now, I'm married with three kids, Chief of neurosurgery and co-head of trauma.

Webber: each of you today comes here hopeful, wanting in on the game. A month ago, you were in med school, being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors. The five years you spend here as surgical residents will be the best and worst of your lives.

I still remember Webber's entire speech by heart, much like everybody else.

Webber: they will—

I see a girl in front raise her hand.

Webber: you have a question?
Girl: yes. Why?
Webber: uh, you raised your hand.
Girl: no, I'm sorry. I mean, why will these be the best and worst years of our lives?
Webber: uh, I-I was getting to that.
Girl: sorry.
Webber: um, where was I? Oh, right. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition.

Most of us were mouthing Webber's speech since we've known it by heart since day one.

Webber: eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play... that's up to you.