Chapter 52:

After the wedding, I went on vacation with Mer and Cristina on what was supposed to be Cristina's honeymoon in Hawaii. Mer and I have been sticking to Cristina's side the whole time trying our best to comfort her in any way possible. Today is my first day as a resident and I can't lie, I'm a bit nervous. I straighten out my lab coat and I wait at a nurses station for my interns.

Tyler: morning Dr. Shepherd.
Delilah: hey Tyler. Have you seen my interns?
Tyler: nope. I just wanted to wish you good luck.
Delilah: thanks Tyler.

Tyler gives me a high five then walks away. I give my dad a smile when he walks up to me.

Dad: there she is!
Delilah: hi!
Dad: you ready?
Delilah: I'm a bit nervous. I just want them to respect me.
Dad: they will, I promise. Just be yourself and don't scare them.
Delilah: can't promise anything.

My dad kisses my forehead before walking away. I see a group of people approaching me. This is it. This is my time to shine. I get a good look at the group. There were three girls and three guys. Out of the girls, one was a redhead and the other two were brunette while the guys were all brunette.

Delilah: alright, I'm Dr. Delilah Shepherd and I will be your resident. I expect you to treat me with respect. Okay, listen and listen good because I'm only going to say this once. I have five rules, memorize them. Rule number one, don't bother sucking up. I already don't trust you and that's not gonna change. Trauma protocols, phone lists, pagers. The nurses will page you and you will answer every page at a run. Not a walk, not a jog, a run. That's rule number two.

I start walking away and I turn around to see my interns frantically grabbing the stuff off the nurses station and follow me. I start walking down the hallway with my interns.

Delilah: your first shift starts now and lasts 48 hours. You're interns, grunts, nobodies, the bottom of the surgical food chain. You run labs, write orders, you work every second night until you drop, and you don't complain. If I hear a single complaint out of you, you will be working scut for a week.

I open the door to an on-call room.

Delilah: on-call rooms. Attendings hog them so sleep when you can, where you can. Which leads me to rule number three. If I am sleeping, you better not wake me up unless the patient is actually dying. Rule number four, the dying patient better not be dead when I get there. Because not only will you have killed a patient, but you would've woken me up for no good reason. Any questions?

One of the shorter brunette girls raises her hand.

Delilah: yes?
Faith: that was four rules. You said there was five.

As the girl finishes her sentence, my pager goes off.

Delilah: rule number five. When I move, you move. Move people!

I run down to the ambulance bay and begin my first day as a resident.

-later-

I'm sitting in the deserted hallway hangout with Mer, Cristina, Izzie and Alex. I was sitting on Alex's lap with Alex's arms wrapped around my waist.

Cristina: I hate them.
Meredith: you don't hate them. You hate you.
Izzie: that was hideous. I feel like a fraud.
Delilah: I feel like I did good. I think they respect me.
Alex: I rocked it. I think I'm the new Nazi.
Cristina: oh, you are not the new Nazi.

I see George walk into the hallway. I give him a smile when I see him.

George: Meredith, I need to talk to you.
Delilah: Georgie-kins!