Chapter 82:

I got a text from Meredith saying that Izzie is coming back and I zoom over to Mer's. The second I get there, Meredith informs me that she caught Alex and Lexie in bed together. Mark texted me last night that him and Lexie broke up because of everything that's happened with Sloan. I walk into the kitchen with Mer to lecture Alex and Lexie.

Meredith: Izzie leaves, and Mark gets a kid, and you two decide that the best way to deal is to get drunk and mash your genitals together?
Alex: look, no freakin' way you get to judge us or give relationship advice. Besides, you were a total dirty mistress, like, two weeks ago.
Lexie: are we calling me a dirty mistress?
Delilah: Alex, that was two years ago, and his wife didn't have cancer!
Meredith: exactly!
Lexie: because I've only been with, like, six guys in my whole life. Okay, Alex and I– we've done it before. T-that was recycling. It was, like, good for the environment.
Alex: Izzie's gone, I was horny, she was there.

I whack Alex at the back of his head.

Delilah: unbelievable.
Lexie: oh crap, I am a dirty mistress. Oh God. You and Lilah are gonna tell Derek, and then Derek and Lilah are gonna tell Mark that I'm a whore.
Meredith: no, I'm not gonna tell Derek, neither is Lilah. And neither are you. And you're not gonna say anything. We are keeping our mouths shut. Izzie is coming home. No one needs to know.
Izzie: hi. Know what?

I whip my head around and I see Izzie.

-at the hospital-

I'm walking with Jackson telling him random stories from when I was in high school.

Delilah: I will never forget our senior year prank on the worst teacher we ever had.
Jackson: tell me.
Delilah: Mr. Lawson, my senior year biology teacher. He was the laziest, meanest, most arrogant teacher ever. He was strict and a total party pooper. For our senior prank, I paid my principal and the janitor fifty bucks to help me convince Lawson that his biology class was haunted. He ran out of his classroom screaming like a little girl.

Jackson and I bust out laughing as we approach the OR board where Meredith and the Chief were.

Jackson: uh, excuse me sir? You're... you're taking Dr. Bailey's Whipple?
Webber: is that a problem?
Jackson: no, not at all. No, I'm... I'm the resident on the case. I'm thrilled to be assisting you. I-I will be assisting you, right?
Webber: you can open. That way, Dr. Grey will be fresh when she dissects the neck of the pancreas from the portal vein.

My eyes grow wide. Meredith doing a fifth year procedure? Unbelievable.

Meredith: that's the hardest part.
J&D: that's a fifth year procedure.
Webber: it's what we've been practicing. And I'm telling you, you're ready. But if you don't think you're ready—
Meredith: no no, I'm ready. I'm ready.

-later-

Cristina drags Mer and I into an empty conference room.

Cristina: Teddy... turns out she loves Owen and thought she could be all, you know, "Teddy and Owen", but there's me, and now she's all pain and threatening to leave, and so I told her she could have him.
M&D: what?
Cristina: she's an amazing teacher, and I'm, you know, I'm happy again, and I'm– I'm in the OR. And I'm feeling like myself and– and I– and, of course I didn't mean it. I mean, I love Owen. I-I love him. But that means that I don't get to have her, so... maybe I meant it?
Meredith: okay, here's the thing...
Delilah: Cris, you can't talk like this.
Meredith: it's like, we get you...
Cristina: yeah.
M&D: but other people don't, so you can't talk like this.
Delilah: it's crazy Crissy.
Meredith: it's like, um, if you tell someone their baby is ugly. You know it, they know it, you know it, everybody knows it, but you don't talk about it.
Cristina: okay, but– but you're saying surgery, right? Gun to your head, you would choose surgery over Derek?
Meredith: I am saying, don't talk about this. And don't talk about it to Owen.