Chapter 165:

There are two types of pain. One that hurts you, and the other that changes you.

The death of my father... did both.

I always thought I had more time with my father. He always promised that he would never leave me. I had no idea that I would ever lose him like this.

~earlier~

I was about to send another text to my dad when I see blue and red lights blazing outside. I look at Mer in fear and I grab her hand. My heart jumps when I hear a knock at the door. Mer drags me to the front door and anxiety builds in my chest when the door opens to reveal police officers standing at the door. In that moment, my whole world freezes.

I stand outside of my father's room and relief washes over me when I see dad laying in a hospital bed alive.

Dad: hey.

I smile when I see him look at me and tears of joy and relief roll down my face as Mer and I walk into the room together.

M&D: what did you do?
Dad: oh, I did what I always do, except I almost killed myself doing it.
Meredith: don't make jokes. We were scared.
Delilah: we were terrified daddy.
Dad: no, don't be scared. I'm not going anywhere. Come here.

I go over to my dad's right side while Mer takes my dad's left and we climb into my dad's hospital bed.

Dad: I'm right here.

I smile at Mer as I lay my head on my dad's shoulder, happy as I can be. My dad is okay.

Officer: ma'am? Ma'am.

I break out of my trance when I hear the officer's voice.

Officer: ma'am, is this the home of Derek Shepherd?
Meredith: it is.
Delilah: he's my father and he's her husband.
Officer: I'm afraid there's been an accident. Could you both come with us, please?

My heart leapt into my throat.

Officer: are you okay—
Meredith: I c– I-I can't just go. I– what am I supposed to do with my kids?

I help Mer bring the kids and we go straight to the hospital where my father was. My hand was latched onto Mer's and my heart was racing a mile a minute. I carry Zola with me into the hospital while Meredith takes Bailey. Once we get into the hospital, a social worker takes Zola and Bailey then a nurse guides us to my dad's room. My heart is in my throat as I ride the elevator with Mer. When we reach my dad's room, tears fill my eyes. I walk in with Mer and my heart drops when I see my father. The man who raised me, the man I loved most in this world... laying in a hospital bed connected to wires and tubes.

In that moment... my whole world fell apart. Everything went static. My body went numb and all I can feel is pain all throughout my body. Tears blur my vision as I latch onto Meredith's arms and stare at my father.

Dr. Cohn: Dr. Grey. Dr. Avery-Shepherd.

I don't bother to turn towards the doctor.

Dr. Cohn: I can't... we can't tell you how sorry... I am so sorry for your loss, the both of you. Dr. Shepherd was a tremendous surgeon– t-tremendously gifted. I've long admired his techniques. I... it... was an honour.