Chapter 50:

Today is the day. Today is the day that I take the test that determines my entire medical career. Today is the day that I take the intern exam and to say that I'm nervous is the biggest understatement of the universe. I've been pulling so many all nighters to study that my brain is so close to turning into mush. I left my apartment early to get a quick study session with the gang at Mer's house before the test.

Cristina: how do you treat pancreatic divisum? Izzie?
Izzie: Cristina, if you're not gonna let us sleep, at least let me put coffee in my cup.
Cristina: okay, so go. No one's stopping you.
Izzie: I'm too tired to go.
Cristina: pancreatic divisum.
A&D: dorsal duct sphincterotomy.
Cristina: not your turn, but correct. Alex, you do me.
Alex: I can't believe O'Malley's missing this. How's he gonna be ready?
Cristina: oh, you're kidding right? We have Callie's cards, but George has—
Izzie: George has Callie.
Alex: what's the most frequent cause of diarrhea in hospitalized patients?
Izzie: is she coming to this bachelorette thing tonight?
Delilah: she is. I talk to her, she said she was coming.
Cristina: Rotavirus. Yes. Uh, no! No no no. Uh, salmonella.
Alex: diarrhea in hospitalized patients.
Delilah: the most frequent cause of diarrhea in hospitalized patients is C.diff which can—

I get interrupted by Meredith who entered the kitchen.

Meredith: which can lead to toxic mega colon, perforation, sepsis and death. That's what killed Susan.

I look over at Meredith and sigh as she pours herself some coffee.

Izzie: is she okay?
Cristina: oh, she's fine.
Alex: dude, she's messed up.
Delilah: of course she's messed up. Susan was basically her surrogate mom,
Cristina: yeah, her fake mom was better than her real mom.
Izzie: is she going to the hospital first or the funeral?
Cristina: hospital first, then to the funeral.
Delilah: then she'll be back for the test this afternoon.
Alex: has she even studied?
Delilah: yes she's studied Alex. She'll be fine. She just needs to be left alone, okay?

I stand behind Alex and hug him from behind.

Cristina: what's inside the carotid sheath? Izzie?

We spend a bit more time at the house studying before we go to the hospital. When we get to the hospital, we hear about a group of hikers with frost bite along with some other very severe injuries. I follow the others down to the ER and I sit next to them on an empty bed outside of the ER. My friends look through the window while I look through my flash cards.

Izzie: we're supposed to be studying. If Bailey finds out we're down here—
Cristina: we are studying. Well, baby Shepherd is even though she's a freaking genius who could pass the test without even trying. How do you treat frostbite?
George: re-warm, avoid early surgery unless there's a deep infection due to auto-amputation.
Cristina: see? Studying.

I hear screaming coming from the ER, making me wince.

Cristina: did you see that?
Meredith: that is freaky.
Cristina: I think that was a flail chest. I've never seen one before. Come on, come on. Why, oh, why does today have to be test day?
Meredith: I know.
Delilah: Mer, if you want to take the test later, I'm sure the Chief will understand if you talk to him. I'm sure he'll understand because of the funeral and everything.
Meredith: I don't need to take the test later.
Delilah: okay.

As I look back down at my cards, I hear the sound of my resident.

Bailey: what are you fools doing here? In a few hours, you people are taking a test that will determine the course of your entire medical careers because the five interns with the lowest test scores will be cut from the program. But are you studying?
Delilah: I am!