Chapter 96:

Callie texted me the other night telling me that Arizona was back and I was shocked. I was also shocked when she told me that she had slept with Mark.

Anyway, I'm on the phone with Scotty as I walk next to Jackson.

Me- so when are you finally gonna be here?
Scotty- well, thanks to you and your amazing rep at the hospital, they told me I can start whenever I can. I only have a couple of things to clean up here in New York then I'll be there... by the end of the week.

I see a giant crowd of people in the lobby and I look to see everyone looking at one of the TVs. I felt tears in my eyes when I saw that the news was reporting a shooting at a local college.

Me- oh my god...
Scotty- what's wrong?
Me- I-I have to go.

I grab Jackson's hand as tears roll down my face. I start sniffling and lean into Jackson for comfort as I start crying. Once the news ends, we follow Hunt to the ambulance bay.

Owen: there are 15 ambulances on the way. Maybe more to come. First one is three minutes out.

Jackson takes his hand in mine and kisses my forehead. I've had a couple nightmares of the shooting since that day and it still haunts me to this day.

Webber: people... people... our own trauma is fresh, and we are going to have feelings today, and there is no shame in that. What I want to say is, what we went through six months ago, they are going through right now, which makes them our brothers and sisters... which makes them fellow travellers, which makes them our own. So to the very best of our ability, we are gonna do our work first. And you're gonna have your feelings later.

I look over my shoulder and I see Lexie crying a little.

Owen: Grey.
Lexie: I'm fine. I'm fine.
Mark: go to the pit. Make sure we're stocked. Call the blood bank—
Lexie: I'm fine.
Mark: call the blood bank. Tell them to give us all the O-neg they have.
Delilah: come on Lex.

I place a comforting hand on my friend's shoulder and give her a look. Lexie sighs then runs off as the first ambulance comes up. The Chief takes the first ambulance. I step forward to run with my dad to the next ambulance, Jackson pulls me back.

Jackson: go find Lexie.
Delilah: Jackson, I'm fine.
Jackson: baby...
Delilah: I need to do this Jackson. I have to.

I run over to my dad and I open the ambulance door.

Delilah: what do you have?
Paramedic: professor John Sturgeon, 48, fell out of a fourth story window, has an open skull fracture and a blown pupil.
Dad: he fell?
Paramedic: he helped a dozen kids out the window and up on to the roof, then he tried to go himself and slipped.
Delilah: he's herniating!
Dad: get him to the front of the line! Get him into the OR.

Dad pulls me back as Meredith takes the professor inside.

Owen: you guys okay?
Der&Del: nothing about this is okay.

My dad grabs my hand as we bolt to the OR together.

Dad: are you sure you can do this sweetie? You can step out.
Delilah: I watched you nearly die right in front of me as I sat in a pool of my own blood. I don't want to watch another person die when I can do something about it. These kids have so much more to live for.
Dad: if you need to step out, you tell me, okay? You tell me and I'll understand.
Delilah: I'm gonna be okay dad. As long as I have you, I'll be fine.

Dad kisses my forehead as we walk into the scrub room and we see Mer waiting for us in the OR.

Dad: I love you baby.
Delilah: I love you too.