Chapter 173:

Delilah: I heard that Owen and Riggs had an affair, and that's why they hate each other.
Jackson: oh, there's no way that's true.
Delilah: I heard it from Arizona. It's scuttlebutt.
Jackson: okay, you spend way too much time with Callie.
Delilah: oh come on, give me this one.

Jackson chuckles at me as we make our way out of surgery. The both of us get a page to the lobby and we run as fast as we could. The whole hospital gathers around and we see Bailey on the stairs.

Bailey: four crews of firefighters were trapped battling wildfires east of town. We have at least 40 injured en route. I said we would take all of them.

My eyes grow wide.

Delilah: 40?
Jackson: we're gonna hit capacity, and—
Bailey: we will take all of them. We're looking at second, third, and fourth-degree burns, smoke inhalations and some traumas. All non-critical patients, um... are being transferred to Seattle Pres and Tacoma. This entire hospital is now a burn-treatment center. If you are a little rusty, Plastics will be available for consults, but they will be in high demand and cannot be everywhere. If you need them...

I lean over to whisper in Jackson's ear.

Delilah: this is our time to shine baby.
Jackson: you know it angel eyes.

I blush at the nickname. Jackson hasn't used it since we first met and it brought back so many memories.

Bailey: residents, stay with your assigned Attendings unless needed in the burn unit or in the pit. Uh, everyone who is on call has been called in. This is an all hands on deck situation. Triage in the ER. Send the critical patients to the burn unit or the OR. Dr. Avery-Shepherd will be your point person on this, okay?

Jackson and I share a fist bump.

Bailey: uh... let's see. Then that's... that's it people. Okay. Get to work.

Jackson and I run off together. We grab trauma gowns and take the elevator.

Jackson: you gonna be okay today baby? You know, with the burn victims.

Jackson understands more than anything how triggered I get whenever we get burn patients. I look down at my arm and memories of the crash come back to me.

Delilah: I'll be fine baby. I have to focus on the patients.
Jackson: if you need to step away at all today—
Delilah: I won't need to.

We get to the roof and we get the patient inside the elevator and into the elevator to the ER.

Delilah: people, if you are not on your specialty, you are on burn.
Jackson: consider yourselves burns and Plastics specialists for the day.
Delilah: we treat, debride, admit. If you have any questions at all, you come find Jackson or myself.

I run out with Jackson.

-later-

Jackson and I run into the ER and find Bailey to update her.

Delilah: Chief, the burn unit is full.
Jackson: we need beds down here.
Delilah: we can't take any more. We're already at full capacity.
Jackson: we have patients with extensive burns that are on gurneys in hallways.
Delilah: we need to start diverting to other hospitals.
Bailey: no, no. We're not doing that.
Delilah: Bailey, we need to know what we are doing. Please.
Webber: do I need to notify Seattle Pres?

Bailey doesn't respond.

Delilah: Bailey!
Bailey: I said we're not turning firefighters away. Come with me.