Chapter 153:

I get paged to the ambulance bay by Owen for an incoming trauma so I run down as fast as I could and I meet with Mer, Callie, Owen and Maggie.

Delilah: hey!
Meredith: hey. Sorry about last night.
Delilah: not a big deal.

I look over at Callie and see that she looked sleepy.

Delilah: Cal, you okay?
Meredith: what's wrong with you?
Callie: uh– I was– I was up all night.
Meredith: me too.
Delilah: same.
Callie: Sofia's been acting out, asking questions about me and Arizona, and I don't know what to tell her or how to tell her, so I'm just not sleeping. I'm miserable.
Delilah: ouch. The twins woke me up at two in the morning and I was up with them for most of the night. Cathy is sick and I really hope that George doesn't get sick too. I'm exhausted as hell.
Callie: ouch.
Delilah: why didn't you sleep Mer bear?
Meredith: oh, you don't want to know.
Callie: what's going on?
Delilah: you and my dad still fighting? You want me to yell at him? 'Cause I can.
Meredith: Derek and I were up having sex all night.

I gag and lean onto Callie.

Delilah: okay. Callie, do me a favor and push me into the ambulance when it comes please.

The ambulance pulls up and Owen and I open the doors.

Paramedic: 69 year old male– jumped two stories from a burning building. Shocky, BP'd 95/60 with a rate in the 120s. GCS 14 in the field.
Norris: Hattie...

When I get a better look, I realize there were two patients on one gurney.

Callie: why am I looking at two patients on one gurney?
Nicole: she's dead.
Owen: what?
Nicole: we couldn't find a pulse. And we tried to pull her off, but the husband just held on. He was agitated. He wouldn't let go, so we had to stop. 'Cause we were afraid we were gonna hurt him.

We start wheeling the patient into the ER. Amy walks by as we come in.

Amy: what've we got– oh wow.
Nicole: witnesses said ge carried his wife out the window and jumped to escape the fire. We think he was trying to break her fall.
Delilah: let's get him into trauma one.
Dad: Delilah.

I let them wheel our patient into the trauma room and talk to my dad.

Delilah: hmm?
Dad: where do you need me?
Delilah: you got that head lac in bed three, right?
Dad: yeah, that's nothing. I can jump in on this.
Delilah: I don't need you dad. I've got Amy on it and plus, they have me.
Dad: is that good management, you leaving your star player on the bench?
Delilah: Amy is fine dad. And again, they have me. And besides, people are always hitting their heads on something. Love you.

I pat my dad on the shoulder then walk into the trauma room,

Meredith: his skin is mottled and cyanotic. We have to get her off of him.
Delilah: sir, you have to let her go.
Norris: no.
Delilah: we have to move her to help you.
Norris: no, no.
Delilah: sir, what is your name?
Norris: Norris. I-is she...?
Delilah: Norris, you don't have to worry about that right now.
Meredith: no, he does actually. Of course he does.
Delilah: Norris, what is your wife's name?
Norris: Harriet. Hattie.
Delilah: Norris. Norris, it's time to let Hattie go. She's gone. I'm so sorry, but she's gone.
Norris: gone? What do you mean gone?
Meredith: Norris, she died.
Norris: no. No.
Meredith: she's gone. I'm sorry.
Norris: Hattie, no...
Delilah: you did everything you could.
Norris: no! No...
Delilah: you helped her through the hardest part. You held her, you protected her, and she died in your arms. And I'm sure she couldn't think of a better way to go. She isn't in pain anymore Norris, but you are. She wouldn't want you to be. You have to let her go so we can help you. Okay?