Chapter 83:

My dad ended up reporting Richard to the Chief and after the board discussed, they made my dad Chief. Today is my dad's debut as Chief and he's very nervous.

I walk to his office with a tray of coffee in my hands. I walk right in and I see my dad switching between ties.

Delilah: the blue one. When in doubt, always go with the blue one. It brings out your eyes, and I bought you that tie.
Dad: thanks baby.

I hand my dad his coffee and he kisses my head.

Dad: the hospital, the staff, they love Richard. To them, I stabbed him in the back to get the job. They're gonna be mad at me just like Meredith is.
Delilah: Meredith may be mad, but she knows that you'll do a great job. You're going to be a great Chief daddy.
Dad: thanks baby. Can you do this for me?

I chuckle at my father before doing his tie.

Dad: you really think I can do this?
Delilah: yes I do. I believe in you.
Dad: at least I have one person on my side.
Delilah: I'll always be on your side daddy. You did the right thing. Everyone will make you think that you did it for yourself, but I'm telling you that you did what was right not only for Richard's safety, but to protect his career and the hospital's reputation.
Dad: thanks baby.

I smile as I finish my dad's tie.

Delilah: there ya go. Handsome as always.
Dad: thanks baby. Who's the other two coffees for?
Delilah: for me and Jackson.

Dad looks at me suspiciously.

Dad: you and Avery have gotten pretty close lately. Is something going on between you two?
Delilah: what? No. Daddy, Jackson and I are just friends.
Dad: you sure? I've noticed the way you two act around each other.
Delilah: just friends dad, I promise. I should go, I'll see you later. You've got this.

I kiss my dad on the cheek then run off to meet my friends. I see Alex, Lexie, Charles, Reed, Dylan and Jackson talking and I run up to them and walk next to Jackson.

Delilah: morning!
Jackson: morning angel.

I smile at Jackson as I hand him his cup of coffee.

Alex: Avery gets coffee but not your best friend? Rude.
Delilah: love you too Alex.
Jackson: anyways, do any of you know what this big meeting's about?
Reed: I heard there's a coup.
Charles: Webber's out, Shepherd's in. Is that true?
Lexie: we know what you know.
Jackson: bull. Alright? Your sister's married to the guy. You expect me to believe you don't know what's going on?
Alex: don't you have your own loser friends to talk to?
Delilah: hey! I'm friends with him.
Jackson: Lilah, you'll tell me, right angel?
Delilah: I know what you know J.
Jackson: that's bull, you're his daughter! You know something.
Delilah: J, even if I did know something, I wouldn't tell you. Just be patient, okay?
Jackson: I hate you.
Delilah: you love me.
Dylan: I also heard Shepherd plans to clean house. Maybe he'll start with you.
Delilah: shut up Dylan. He's not getting rid of my best friend. I'd kill him before he'd have the chance.
Alex: exactly. I'm safe. The guy is my roommate. You're the ones who should watch out.
Delilah: Alexander!
Reed: why? What do you know?
Alex: simple math– Shepherd hates the merger, you're from Mercy West, you're toast.
Delilah: Alex, stop. My dad isn't going to fire people just because they're from Mercy West. My dad isn't like that at all. He's fair, and he's loyal.
Jackson: yeah, tell that to Webber.

I whack Jackson at the back of his head.

Delilah: guys, I don't wanna hear you talk about my dad, okay?
Jackson: sorry.

Jackson throws his arm around me and kisses my forehead.

Delilah: fine, you're forgiven but you owe me coffee.
Jackson: yes angel.