Chapter 54:

I decided to pick up Cristina and take her to work.

Delilah: you feeling okay today? I'm not asking to make you feel fragile and crap, I'm just being a good friend.
Cristina: I'm okay baby Shepherd.
Delilah: okay.

We make it to the hospital and we walk into the elevator that Meredith and my dad were taking.

Delilah: hey dad.
Dad: hi sweetheart.

We ride the elevator in silence for a moment.

Meredith: how are you today?
Dad: good.
Meredith: good.

Cristina and I look at the two then we look at each other with a knowing look.

Meredith: bye.
Dad: bye.

My dad kisses my head before him and Meredith walk out of the elevator in different directions. Cristina and I walk out together and we talk about what just happened.

Delilah: she's doing it with my dad.
Cristina: she's doing it with your dad and lying about it.
Delilah: why would they lie to me?
Cristina: she thinks I'm weak, that I'm fragile. Like I can't handle it cause of Burke.
Delilah: why would they lie to me?

I change in the locker room then I meet my interns at a nurses station where Alex was assigning his interns.

Alex: Pierce, you're in the pit. James, need you in Peds. Laura, you're on scut.
Laura: I was on scut yesterday.
Alex: oh, and just for that, you're on scut tomorrow. Get lost!

Alex's interns scurry away.

Delilah: alright. Drake, you're working in Peds today. Faith, you're in Ortho with Dr. Torres. Rachel and Lisa, you're on scut. Tanner, you're with me. Parker, you're with Dr. Bailey. Go go go!

Alex chuckles at me as my interns scurry off.

Alex: you're cute when you're intimidating.
Delilah: watch it Karev.

Alex and I laugh then he throws his arm around me as the Chief approaches us with an older guy following behind him.

Webber: good morning Dr. Shepherd. Dr. Karev, this is Dr. Norman Shales.
Alex: hey.

Alex and Norman shake hands.

Norman: oh, a strong handshake. That's a good sign.
Alex: oh, are you the new OB-GYN guy?
Norman: I don't have a specialty yet.
Webber: Norman is an intern. You'll be his resident.
Alex: he's my intern?
Norman: don't worry son. This tugboat's ready to pull his own weight.
Webber: age is just a number. Right Norman?
Norman: absolutely.
Alex: pretty important number.

I whack Alex in the arm as the Chief walks away.

Delilah: have fun Alex. Pleasure meeting you Norman. Tanner, let's move!

I walk off and I see Cristina at another nurses station.

Delilah: hey.
Cristina: hey baby Shepherd. Who you with today?
Delilah: I'm with Sloan and the Chief today, I think Mer is too. You're gonna mess with her about the whole thing with my dad, aren't you.
Cristina: you know me too well baby Shepherd.
Delilah: I got you.

I see Meredith walk up to us and Cristina and I give each other a knowing look before Meredith speaks.

Meredith: hey.
C&D: hey.

We try to sound as sad as possible.

Meredith: you two okay?
Cristina: I don't know, I think it's all just hitting me... you know, stupid Burke dumping me and then stupid mama coming to reclaim her... magic necklace.
Meredith: do you want to talk about it?
Cristina: no, not really. Not... yet.
Meredith: okay. Well, if there's anything I can do...
Cristina: you know, I just wish I had a good, bloody surgery. You know, bloody surgeries make me feel better. One, two, three ad four... follow me.