Chapter 112:

I had to run a couple of errands before I got to work so I was riding the elevator with Mark and my dad, plus Zola and Sofia, as my dad talks about the lion him and Mer saw driving to work.

Dad: it walked across the road, right in front of us.
Mark: I feel like Julia and I are at a crossroads. It's been five months. Maybe it's time to take the next step and ask her to move in.

I chuckle at my godfather as I give my goddaughter a kiss.

Dad: did you hear what I said? It was a lion.
Mark: you like Julia, right?

I chuckle at my godfather as the three of us get off the elevator together. I make my way to the locker room and change then I run to the ambulance bay where I see Dr. Webber.

Delilah: hi Dr. Webber.
Webber: Shepherd.
Delilah: you heard about the lion?
Webber: I did. I assume you did too?
Delilah: yeah, my dad was talking about it on the elevator.

I see my boyfriend run out and he stands beside me.

Jackson: Dr. Webber. Don't you have a gallbladder scheduled for this morning?
Webber: Hendricks is doing it.
Jackson: you heard about the lion mauling. Came down here to claim it before anybody else could get their hands on it.
Delilah: a lot of people heard about it sweetheart.
Webber: I am down here for those in need Avery. I am here to be of service to human kind.
Jackson: yeah, well, you could be of service to human kind in OR 3 with that gallbladder.

I chuckle at the two men as they stare each other down.

Webber: try it son. Try and challenge me.

I roll my eyes at their behaviour as the ambulance pulls up. Jackson and Webber bolt to the ambulance, with me behind them but I take lead.

Delilah: talk to me Nicole.
Nicole: 35 year old male, body covered in claw marks and an arm that looks like a chew toy.
Paul: oh my god, oh my god, my arm. I can't feel my arm.
Webber: don't worry, I'm gonna take care of you.
Jackson: so am I.

I roll my eyes at the men in front of me as we wheel him in.

Delilah: don't worry sir, I can assure you that everything will be fine.
Paul: Naomi. What happened to Naomi? Did the lion eat my girlfriend?
Webber: these wounds are deep. Avery, page Sloan and Torres.
Jackson: or you can page Sloan and Torres.
Delilah: I'll page Sloan and Torres, you children. Geez.

I page Callie and Mark as we bring Paul into a trauma room then we start assessing him. I try to keep him as calm as possible as we assess.

Paul: I-I could see it in those eyes. Those eyes said, "you are meat". And in that moment, I believed him.
Webber: what happened then?
Paul: then he lunged. And I just reacted. I shoved my arm right into his mouth. Who the hell does that? Who the hell feeds himself to a lion?
Jackson: I'm kinda wondering the same thing.
Delilah: Dr. Avery.

I give my boyfriend a pointed glare then return my focus on Paul as Mark and Callie walk into the room.

Mark: what do we got?
Delilah: deep animal claw laceration extending down the left side of the body.
Jackson: and there's your arm.
Callie: yeah. That's what you expect when you hear "lion".
Paul: I bet it's nice to know what to expect instead of showing up at your girlfriend's house for the first time and being greeted at the door by the freakin' king of the jungle.
Callie: she never bothered to mention she had a pet lion?
Mark: seems like something that ought to come up on a first date.
Paul: right? She told me she had a cat– a big cat– and I'm allergic, so I took an antihistamine before I left the house.

I uncover a bit of bandage and I let out a sharp inhale when I see the damage.

Callie: oh yeah, you shoulda brought a bull whip.