Chapter 78:

I'm standing in front of the OR board listening to the Chief about implementing a computer model to schedule our surgeries.

Webber: and to make sure this was the right decision, I have enlisted one of our own to do a trial run for the last month. Dr. Sloan.

I smirk as my godfather starts his speech. He had called me the night before and made me listen to it a dozen times to get it right so I knew the whole thing inside and out.

Mark: I know what you're all thinking. It's a machine. It doesn't know me. It doesn't know what I like. But after using this new system for the past month, I gotta say people, I'm a convert. This computer knows me better than I know me.

I chuckle as my dad steps forward.

Dad: Chief, this thing has rearranged my schedule for the entire week. I mean, haven't we had enough change here already?
Webber: change is good everyone. Embrace it.

I chuckle at my dad as the group breaks off.

Bailey: you two need to stop bickering. It's unattractive.
Delilah: trying hearing them bicker for nearly thirty years.

My dad playfully glares at me, causing me to chuckle.

-later-

I'm standing in an exam room with my dad since I'm on his service today along with Cristina. I hear the door open and Isaac appears next to my dad.

Isaac: Dr. Shepherds.
Dad: Isaac, if you don't stop calling us Dr. Shepherds, we're seriously gonna have to cut you off.

I chuckle as Isaac chuckles.

Isaac: right. Forgot. Derek and Delilah.
Dad: thanks.
Delilah: hi Isaac.
Isaac: I have your scans Derek.
Dad: I didn't order any scans.
Isaac: I think they're for a consult, but I can come back if you're both busy.
Delilah: oh no Isaac, it's okay.

Isaac hangs up the scans and I gasp when I see what it was.

Delilah: oh my god. Dad, it's a tumor on the spinal cord.
Dad: you're right Lilah. What could it possibly be?
Delilah: possibly a hemangioblastoma.
Dad: correct.
Isaac: you've seen one before?
Der&Del: not this big.
Delilah: Isaac, you see how the tumor has worked its way up the spine?
Dad: it's taken over the blood supply.
Issac: hmm.
Delilah: dad... this is the perfect tumor.
Dad: you know if the patient still has leg function?
Isaac: yes.
Delilah: woah.
Dad: incredible. He shouldn't be walking.
Delilah: my dad's right. He should be paralyzed, or dead.
Isaac: you'd have to operate quickly then, to take out the tumor out?
Dad: oh, I'd love to operate on this. But no. No, you have to cut the cord, paralyze the patient to kill the tumor.
Delilah: who's the doctor on this one?
Isaac: you.
Dad: I'm sorry?
Isaac: the tumor is mine. I'd like you to take it out. I'd like you to try.

We look at Isaac in pure shock.

Delilah: Isaac...
Isaac: one doctor said it was bad circulation, another one, pinched nerve. But when the pain started to interfere with work, I decided to run an MRI on myself.

Dad looks at his pager when it beeps as he speaks to Isaac.

Dad: Isaac, had I known this was your scan, I wouldn't have—
Isaac: I've been to every doctor Derek. Every time, it's the same thing. They look at the tumor and they're defeated, but not you. You were inspired. That's why I know I was right to come and work here. I needed to meet you.
Dad: you got a job here to meet me?
Isaac: I have researched every neurosurgeon in this country. I know their statistics, I know who wins the most prizes, but I also know who takes the most risks. That's you.
Dad: Isaac, I know you believe I can take this tumor out, and I wish I could. But this surgery will kill you.
Isaac: take the scans. Look them over. But stop your mind before the part where it gets to "no". Think "yes". Yes?