Chapter 164:

I run into the elevator with Owen to go to the ER. We received word that there was a plane crash in the middle of the city and it was all hands on deck.

Owen: you gonna be okay today Shep?

Owen is the one person who knows understands the hell I went through. He has stood by me every day since the crash and I'm thankful that I've had him.

Delilah: yeah. I'm... I'll be fine.
Owen: if you need to step away at all today, you tell me and I'll understand.
Delilah: thanks Owen.

I lean my head on Owen's shoulder and Owen places his head on top of mine in comfort. Eventually, Amy joins us and the tension in the air was thick as hell.

Amy told me that she broke things off with Owen a while ago due to wanting to keep things professional.

Owen: hey.
Amy: hi.

There was a moment of silence and I decided to step back and let them have a minute.

Owen: Amelia.
Amy: I just don't think this– us– is a good idea. Mixing work and play.
Owen: play?

I internally wince as Owen scoffs.

Owen: play? What am I now, some screw?
Amy: I didn't say that.
Owen: this is more. Amelia, you and I both know this is more—
Amy: I don't have any more to give.

There was a brief moment of silence.

Amy: I'm not trying to hurt you.
Owen: I'm not hurt. I get it. And... I'm done.
Amy: Owen...
Owen: you don't want real. You want the– the play. You want the high. You want the rush. And I'm not doing that. I'm not interested, so I'm done. Amelia... I've had enough.

I look over at Amy slightly and mouth 'I'm sorry' to her before Owen and I run off the elevator into the ER.

Delilah: we need to set up a central triage area!
Owen: walking wounded can go to the ambulatory care center.

The second I see the ER, flashbacks of the crash come flooding in. I felt frozen in my place as flashbacks continue flooding in. Memories of my flesh burning, glass stabbed into my ear, leg and hand, Lexie taking her last breath, Mark fighting for his life. All of it. It all came flooding in. Anxiety starts filling my lungs and I was stuck in my own world when Owen brings me back to reality.

Owen: Shep!

I come back and look at Owen.

Delilah: hmm?
Owen: I need your help here.

I take a couple of breaths before running next to Owen.

Kate: oh god, Sam.
Owen: transfer her on my count. One, two, three.

We transfer the girl onto the bed.

Owen: we need a trauma panel, C-spine, chest and pelvis.
Delilah: Edwards, grab the ultrasound.
Kate: he had a heart attack or s-something. Something happened to him, and I had to try. I had to try to land the plane.
Delilah: visualize the pats colic gutter.
Edwards: mhmm.
Meredith: um, what's your– what's your name?
Kate: Kate.
Meredith: okay, Kate?
Kate: yeah.
Meredith: we're gonna find your husband, but first we're gonna– we're gonna take care of you.
Owen: make sure you check for fluid in Morrison's pouch.
Kate: he's not my husband. It was a– it was a date.
Delilah: smaller movements Edwards.
Kate: uh, a first date from that site where you– where you put down what kind of date you want to go on. And then you meet the person then you go do it.
Edwards: what about that?

I look up at the ultrasound.

Delilah: yeah. Yeah, we see it.
Edwards: we're almost done here.
Kate: I've– I've been on a bunch of those dates and it's always bowling or something that sounds fun but then turns out to be dumb. This guy– this guy's, like, "let's go up in my plane", and I'm, like, "why not?".