Chapter 58:

A lot has happened lately but the craziest thing, was Alex sleeping with Lexie Grey. I told Alex to never do it again but knowing Alex, he'll try to do it again. Anywho, I'm standing next to Mark as he presents one of his patients to a room full of doctors, nurses and interns.
Mark: okay ladies and gentlemen, this is Nick Hanscomb.
Nick: hi.
Mark: Nick was lucky enough to have me remove a large carotid tumor from his neck. The fact that I was able to get clean boundaries is pretty darn impressive, even for me.
Dad: congratulations.
Mark: don't interrupt. Now, despite the fact that it was a wildly successful surgery, we had to dissect out deep lymph nodes in his neck. There is now only a delicate flap of skin between his carotid artery and the outside world. That said, what am I worried about?
Delilah: given the friability of the skin, there's a great possibility that the artery could blow.
Mark: correct.
Nick: oh, don't worry. I've... I've heard this before.
Mark: if that happens, whoever's in the room, I don't care if it's a doctor, a nurse, an orderly, your job is to stop the bleeding then page me, in that order. Any questions?
Nick: they look scared.
Mark: they're medical professionals Nick. A healthy level of fear is encouraged.
Nick: okay. Then, uh, if I do die, it will have been lovely meeting you all.
Mark: see? The patient is confident. You should be confident. That's it.

-ambulance bay-

I pull open the ambulance double doors and I greet Ray and Stan.

Delilah: what do we got you guys?
Stan: Jacob Nolston, age 47, status post a double bypass surgery two weeks ago, now presents with febrile with pain and tenderness in his surgical incisions.
Ray: we got a 10 car pile up on the freeway. You mind taking him from here?
Delilah: you got it,
Callie: I need a gurney for the transfer.
Delilah: Drake, get me a gurney. Now! Go!
Izzie: I'll page Hahn.
Cristina: I'll page Hahn.

As Izzie and Cristina continue to argue, I look down the street and I see another ambulance coming.

Delilah: you guys.

The girls are still fighting and they didn't hear me.

Delilah: you guys, I think we should move.

The ambulance wasn't slowing down and it was getting closer and closer by the second.

Delilah: MOVE!!

I push the patient's gurney out of the way but I feel something hit me hard on the head, causing me to fall to the ground and hit my head even harder.

Callie: DEL! Somebody get me a gurney STAT and page Dr. Derek Shepherd!

I stay conscious for a few seconds until darkness consumes me.

-later-

I wake up to the sound of a beeping monitor. I slowly open my eyes and I realize that I'm in a patient room. I see Lexie come into my room.

Lexie: hi. I was told to check on you every hour.
Delilah: how long have I been out for?
Lexie: a few hours.
Delilah: oh.
Lexie: you have a minor concussion and a sprained wrist due to how you fell.
Delilah: oh. Okay, cool. Nothing major.
Lexie: any dizziness or nausea?
Delilah: no. Just a light headache.
Lexie: I-I-I need to check your vitals.
Delilah: don't let me stop you from doing your job Grey.

I sit up in my bed and I let Lexie do her thing. The whole time, she takes little glances at me.

Delilah: it's a bit rude to stare Dr. Grey.
Lexie: I-I'm sorry. It's just that... you're close with my sister. Well, half sister. I mean, I'm guessing you guys are close c-considering how often I see you w-with her.
Delilah: yes Dr. Grey, Meredith and I are very close. Meredith is one of my best friends.
Lexie: oh, c-cool.
Delilah: you don't need to be nervous around me Grey. I don't bite.