Chapter 144:

I walk out to the ER, greeting a few people along the way, then I reach Dylan and April with a little girl and her parents.

Delilah: I heard we have a dog bite over here. Hello there!
April: this is Jill and her parents Kyle and Nicole.
Delilah: hi you two, my name is Dr. Avery-Shepherd.

Nicole greets me in sign language.

Kyle: she says "it's nice to meet you".

I respond back in sign language.

Kyle: you know ASL?
Delilah: yeah. I had a friend in college who was deaf and I learned it within a year. When you're a fast learner, it's not that hard.

Dylan looks at me impressed.

Delilah: anywho, your dog bit you, huh? That doesn't seem very nice.
April: Jill is deaf too.
Delilah: alright. Well, luckily, the wound isn't too deep and since it's her face, I can go ahead and stitch it right up. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Kyle signs to his daughter and translates what we said.

Kyle: she says, "don't worry".

I smile at the little girl as I start stitching her up. While I was stitching up Jill, I heard the parents talking.

Kyle: we are not getting rid of the dog. She was pulling his tail. He growled to let her know he didn't like it.

I look up slightly to see Nicole sign that she can't hear.

Kyle: I know she can't hear.
Dylan: excuse me. Kyle, have you and Nicole considered a cochlear implant for Jill at all?
Kyle: yeah, we've talked about it. We're not interested.
Delilah: she's the perfect candidate. She's the right age, she's healthy, and now would be the best time where she would get the most benefit.

Nicole looks at her husband and she signs saying no.

Kyle: yes, I told them "no". It's a no. We feel strongly about that.
Dylan: okay.

Nicole starts going off in sign and I nod along.

Kyle: see? Now you made her yell. They didn't say anything about her being diseased. You're overreacting.
Dylan: oh, n-no, no. I-I apologize. I'm sorry.
April: we understand and completely respect your decision.
Delilah: let's just get your little girl all stitched up, okay?

-later-

I run towards Cristina in my street clothes.

Delilah: hi! I'm here, I'm here. I am here and I am ready to drink and go over your speech.
Cristina: God, I love you Avery.
Delilah: I know. I'm the best.

I throw my arm around Cristina and hang out at Joe's.

-later-

After a couple hours at Joe's, I go home to eat with Jackson. I tell Jackson about my deaf girl as we eat.

Jackson: I felt bad for those parents.
Delilah: me too. I mean, it's not like I'm insensitive to deaf culture or anything. Hell, I've had deaf friends. I just don't get how, as parents, you don't want your kid to experience hearing if they could.
Jackson: I agree with you. I mean, if that was our kids, they would've been fitted for an implant three years ago.
Delilah: absolutely.

We finish our dinner then we head to bed.

-the next morning-