Chapter 73:

I've never been happier because my dad and Meredith are officially engaged. After the engagement, Meredith enlisted Izzie's help to plan the wedding as a distraction for Izzie to make her happy.

I run down to the ER and wait for the incoming trauma. When I get to the ambulance bay, I see George there.

Delilah: hey Georgie-kins.
George: hey D.
Delilah: who you with today?
George: I'm on Hunt's service all month.
Delilah: really? I'm with Hunt too.
Cristina: hey, what are you two doing here? The Chief asked me to cover Mer in the outS
Delilah: we're both on Hunt's service. I'm on his service for a few weeks and Georgie gets him all month.

I smile when I see Owen come up.

Owen: O'Malley, Shepherd.
Delilah: hey Owen.
Owen: update me Shepherd.
Delilah: two ambulances. Three patients, one critical. Multiple gunshot wounds.

The ambulances pull up and I take the first ambulance.

Paramedic: Mike Carlson, 35, multiple GSWs. Last BP, 88 systolic after 2 blouses of LR.
Delilah: where was he shot?
Paramedic: chest, abdomen, back, legs, shoulder.
George: someone meant business.
Paramedic: I'm not so sure about that.

We begin wheeling Mike inside as Cristina gets the people in the other ambulance. It was a woman and a little girl who I assume is her daughter.

Mrs. Carlson: she didn't mean it. It was an accident. She really didn't mean it. She's sorry. Maddy, tell 'em you're sorry.

I look at the woman in shock.

C&D: she's the shooter?
Owen: somebody page the Chief.

We run inside and bring him into a trauma room. I let George take the man while I stay back with the woman and her daughter. I page Arizona to look at Maddy.

Arizona: hi Delilah. You paged?
Delilah: Maddy Carlson. Daughter of the man who was shot. She needs to be checked out.
Arizona: gotcha.

I stay close to Maddy as Arizona does an exam on Maddy.

Arizona: Maddy, how does this feel? Does it hurt when I do this?

Maddy shakes her head no.

Arizona: good. Now, this cut. Can you tell me how you got this big cut on your face?

The mom approaches us and sits next to her daughter.

Mrs. Carlson: she's scared. She's scared. She did a bad thing and you're gonna take her away from me.
Webber: the police will want to talk to the both of you about how Maddy got the gun.
Arizona: we called social services and they'll be here soon and they'll give you all the support that you need to come back from this. And nobody is gonna take you away from your mom. Okay Maddy? You hear me?
Mrs. Carlson: it hit her in the face– the gun, the kickback.

I examine the cut on her face and I immediately knew that the mom was lying.

Arizona: huh. 'Cause this doesn't look like—
Mrs. Carlson: that's how she got the cut. Mhmm. Her daddy shoots targets in the backyard. He put the gun down for a minute. It was stupid. It was really stupid. She never meant to hurt him.
Webber: okay, you'll tell the police that and it'll– it'll be okay. Everything will be okay.

Then, I get a text from Mer.

Text from: Mer Bear <3
I need you. I'm standing in front of the Chief's office.

Text to: Mer Bear <3
On my way <3

I bolt to the Chief's office and I see Meredith.