Chapter 161:

I walk into the elevator with my twins and I ride the elevator with Mer.

Delilah: did you and dad talk?
Meredith: I don't wanna talk about it.
Delilah: okay.

There was tension in the air and I didn't like it.

Delilah: we're good, right?
Meredith: of course we are.

I smile at Mer then I get off the elevator and drop my kids off at daycare before meeting with Jackson to see a patient that we have been treating for a while. We were in the room with Ben and a bunch of other residents.

Ben: so, Dr. Avery and Avery-Shepherd attached the transplanted tissue to the arm. And, as described in this morning's presentation...
Delilah: the fresh blood supply has allowed the skin to regrow without the need for further grafts.
Jackson: Dr. Warren?
Ben: Dr. Avery, along with Dr. Avery-Shepherd, will perform a primary micro vascular aterial repair first and then follow with a venous anastomosis.
Delilah: Matt, this all looks really good. We will see you in the OR.
Matt: what?

I chuckle when Matt lifts his arm as a joke.

Matt: I swear that never gets old.
Jackson: ah, if only that were true. Okay guys.

I walk out of the room with Jackson.

Jackson: you alright lovey?
Delilah: things are tense with my dad and Mer. I-I don't wanna talk about it.
Jackson: okay sweetie.

I lay my head on Jackson's chest and stay there for a minute in his arms.

-later-

I'm walking around when I see Alex, Maggie and Callie standing outside of an x-ray viewing room.

Delilah: hey.
Callie: why didn't you answer my text?
Delilah: sorry Cal. What's up?
Maggie: how's Meredith?
Callie: who was the woman on Derek's phone? Do you know anything?
Delilah: I don't know.
Alex: all we know is that Derek came home last night.

Part of me didn't want to think what I was thinking but at the same time, I couldn't help it.

Maggie: no.
Callie: crap.
Alex: crap? Why crap?
Callie: a woman answers his phone, he immediately gets on a plane and shows up in the middle of the night...
Maggie: he's here to apologize.
Delilah: because he has something to apologize for.

I let out a disappointed sigh. My entire life, my dad always told me that cheating was wrong. Whether it was on a test or on a person, it was wrong. I watched my dad get cheated on and he vowed to never cheat on Mer. He broke that promise.

-later-

I'm walking around when I see Owen standing outside of his mom's room. He had told me his mom had a fall and was admitted.

Delilah: hey. You okay?

I sit next to Owen and lean my head on his shoulder.

Owen: she's seeing a guy half her age. She doesn't see that he's using her.
Delilah: Owen, come on. I understand that you're a little bit surprised about this. Believe me, I've been there. You're forgetting that my "stepmother" aka my best friend is the same age as I am. Owen, she's your mom. I know you probably don't like the idea of your mon dating someone that's half her age, but she deserves to be happy. If she's happy, let her be happy. It'll take some time but eventually, you'll see how happy she is.

Owen smiles at me then places his head on top of mine.

Owen: how are you so wise?
Delilah: born this way O bear.