Shock

Violet and I were just hanging out while we waited for the Doctor to come back and tell us about the results of her tests. I was making her laugh and keeping her sprits up.

"Violet!" We both suddenly heard and Rachel came running in the room and hugged her.

"Wow." I laughed.

"Mummy!" Violet cried. That's all she wanted all this time. She kept asking for her mummy.

"Hey it's okay violet." Rachel reassured her as she cried. 

I stood back and left the room. Then I saw dad with the baby in a carrying cot and I just internally laughed because that meant they were both going home now.

Rachel wasn't sticking around for long in other words.

"So this is my little..." I said looking over at the tiny baby. "Sister." I confirmed. "Got a name?" I asked sourly.

"Grace." He said smiling holding the baby up towards me.

"Nice." I mumbled. "Like gran?"

He nodded and then we both stood in silence.

"Look Jenna I know you're mad--" he started.

"Mad doesn't begin to describe what I'm feeling." I scoffed turning away from just feeling like crying and screaming at the same time.

"Grace was born prematurely and they needed to do checks on her. I thought violet would be okay with you." Dad tried to explain.

"Well she wasn't okay with me." I snapped.

- - - - -

"Do you mind if I take Rachel and the baby home and then I'll come back?" Dad asked later on as we sat down opposite one another.

"Well I won't leave violet alone." I sighed.

"Okay I'll grab Rachel, they both really need to be getting home now." Dad said as I saw grace was waking up from her nap and probably wanted food and that needed Rachel.

I got up and followed him out of the room, we went straight to see violet and she was playing with Rachel and having fun.

Then dad had to interrupt. "Alright, you ready? Grace is waking up." He muttered.

"Okay, yes I'll see you later violet, remember what I told you. Mummy will be back soon and everything going to be alright. Be strong." Rachel kissed violet head and then took the baby and walked out leaving me violet and dad.

"Violet daddy's going to drop mum off home and then come straight back okay?" He smiled.

"Okay." She smiled back.

"Jenna's going to be here." He nodded.

"Yay!" She squeaked..

"Oh hang on you might want to stay for this, the results are back from the X-ray and this time we've managed to find something." The doctor walked in all of a sudden.

I sat down as dad went to get Rachel.

"Right so this is X-ray of her lung and as you can see this lungs like this whilst the other one seems to have a mass of something right in the corner here." The Doctor said showing us all, even violet.

"Well what's that?" We all basically asked.

"We aren't sure yet. But it's a high chance that it's a form of cancer growing in this part of the lung." The Doctor said and all our faces just dropped and violet just started asking question after question.

I don't think she entirely knew what cancer was, even if she did, she probably didn't link it to her condition in anyway.

- - - - -

"When will we know if it is cancer or not?" I asked the doctor later on.

"We're going to do a few more tests, then we should know for definite. At the moment we are treating it as cancer so we can be fully prepared and ready for any treatment and therapy if the worse happens." The Doctor confirmed with me and I just sat back in shock.

Rachel was crying in another room while dad comforted her and then he took her home to sleep. When dad came back we just both sat with violet trying to explain in the simplest way, what was going on.

It got to a point where she was crying so I had to get up and walk out. Luckily I managed to catch Richard while I had phone service.

"How are things?" He asked straight away.

"Not great." I scoffed and then just laughed to myself.

"They think violet had lung cancer." I choked away my tears.

"Oh boy, well that's news, isn't it?" He wasn't sure what to say I could tell. He's tried every kind of comforting in the book with me and it doesn't usually work.

I thought he might jump on a train and come and see me but he's done it before and to be honest we just ended up arguing and that's wasn't any help.

Whatever he said wasn't really going to help anyway.

"Can I do anything?" He asked nicely.

"No, we still are yet to confirm it. But it's looking serious." I explained.

"Hows your dad? And Rachel? What about the baby?" He said trying to find some support for this sort of subject.

"Well Rachel and dad are just keeping it together. The baby is here and asleep but I'm assuming one of them needs to go home with her at some point. She's a baby, she can't spend all that time in a carrying seat." I tried to think things through in my head.

"Look everything's going to be fine. The baby is not your priority. Violet is. Now don't get psyched out by this, maisie should not be on your mind right now." Richard tried to comfort me.

How does he always know what I'm thinking about? Magician!

"Thanks, I should get back to violet then I guess." I nodded to myself.

"Call me if you need anything." He insisted before I hung up. This was going to be a long couple of days.