Blame

"How was the journey?" Rachel asked as Dave brought in the suitcase and dumped it at the bottom of the stairs. He followed Rachel into the kitchen to help finish the dinner. He'd spent the whole day travelling.

"Driving was fine. Traffic wasn't bad." He shrugged.

"And how's your daughter?" She frowned at the fact he hadn't even mentioned her once since they came in.

"I probably shouldn't tell but she's broken up with her boyfriend." Dave said pathetically like he was back in high school sharing secrets after school.

"Oh that's horrible." Rachel stroked his arm but he wasn't the one in need of comforting.

"I know she's upset but she's pretending it's all fine." He worried.

"It's Christmas." Rachel shrugged. "She's doesn't want to ruin it for everyone by moping about."

"I guess so. But it sounds like she didn't do the breaking up. Hey, you're a woman want to get the gossip of what happened?" He joked.

"Oh really? It's awkward like I'm trying to be her mum. I'm really avoiding that part of her life." She complained.

"Please? So Christmas can be peaceful?" He begged.

"Fine." She obeyed finally.

- - - - -

"Hey vi, go help daddy finish the dinner." Rachel said entering the room and I knew straight away what this was going to be. Violet ran for the kitchen to grab the opportunity to cook whilst I turned the cartoons off and sat back on the sofa.

"Did dad send you?" I asked nervously.

"He might have, yes. Told me you broke up with your boyfriend and i know it's Christmas tomorrow so I was wondering if you wanted to vent so you could enjoy your day." Rachel shrugged.

"I didn't break up with my boyfriend. He broke up with me." I muttered.

"Oh Hun, why?"

"I made out with my ex." I mumbled hoping she didn't hear.

"Oh." Is all I heard her say.

"Yeah, that's why I'm not that upset. It's my fault." I said quite openly.

"Well I'm sure--"

"No, it was my fault. I need to stop making excuses. I forgot what it's like to be single, at least I get to experience it again." I smiled joking about the whole thing.

"What really happened?" She asked like I was lying to her.

"I told you, we went out for a couple of drinks and then Richard and I kissed." I shrugged. "There's nothing else to tell really."

"Well were you drunk?" She asked uncomfortably.

"Nope. He was I wasn't." I hummed.

"Did he make the first move?" She asked.

"Yes but look...I don't need to blame someone else for this to make me feel better. I'm the one to blame. It was two nights ago, I'm over it now." I shrugged.

"Well if you ever need to actually talk, I'm available." She said pathetically as I ended the conversation. I just wanted to be at home without thinking about my friends or Ashford for one moment.

"I'll come straight to you with my next problem I promise." I smiled almost sarcastically.

- - - - -

"V, I think it would be much better if we went in teams for this Hun." I said as we were choosing a board game.

"See even Jenna thinks so." Dad pointed out to Violet as she was stropping when Rachel said monopoly was too hard for her.

"Hey. If we're a team we'll definitely win against mummy and daddy." I said as everyone was sat on the floor but she was on the sofa so I grabbed her feet and tickled them. She was grumbling and frowning but I soon got her to laugh.

"I want to be with Jenna." Violet suddenly scoffed getting up off the sofa and sitting on my lap on the floor.

"Yeah, power team!" I held my hand out and she slapped it calling 'high five' as she tried her hardest not to miss.

"Power team!" She repeated suddenly laughing and smiling again. So it turns out the kid knew more then I thought. She knew how to play quite well and when it came down to it dad was going to let us win but we didn't even need him too, we had already won.

"Eh! we won." I laughed picking violet up and kissing her cheek. She was laughing and rubbing it in their faces. "Now I think it's time for bed." I laughed standing up and lifting her into my arms. She was 5 years old but so light you would think she was still 2.

"I don't want to go to bed." She flopped her hands down and ended up hurting my nose.

"Violets that's not nice, say sorry to Jenna." Rachel said standing up too.

"No, I don't want to go to bed." She screamed.

"Well, if you don't go to bed Santa can't come and what happens if Santa can't come? You don't get your presents do you?" I waited for her to nod and she agreed. "So how about if your favourite sister takes you upstairs and tucks you in and then in the morning we can open lots of presents eh?"

"Yeah!" She suddenly changed her tune.

"Ey lets go." I said placing her on the floor where she wouldn't let go of my hand as she pulled me out of the living room and up the stairs.