Christmas spirit?

"Item number one on our Christmas activities in my town..." I woke Richard up lifting violet on top of him.

"Sleep?" He suggested as violet giggled bouncing up and down on him and forcing him to wake up.

"No wake up." Violet moaned slamming her hands down on him and giggling.

"Gentle yeah?" I tapped violet. "But no sleeping is not on the list. What is on the list is having festive breakfast." I smiled leaning over and kissing Richard and he woke up and sat in bed with violet and I.

She squeezed between the two of us and hugged me. "What is festive breakfast? Cereal shaped like Santa?"

"No. Even better, we're going to go out to the shop and buy the cute festive doughnuts and pastries they have." I smiled at him.

"Now? At like 8am?"

"That's breakfast silly." Violet rolled her eyes poking his side.

"Yeah silly. Come on. You're driving." I patted his arm getting out of bed and going to get dressed.

"Yeah you're driving." Violet repeated tapping his arm and copying me getting out of bed and following me to my suitcase.

- - - - -

"Come on, whilst Richard gets dressed let's get you out of pyjamas." I said pushing violet out of the door as Richard started to get changed.

"Can I wear my ballerina skirt?" Violet asked as I led her out of the room and into her room.

"I think you can." I giggled lifting her up and standing her on her bed. She stood there while I picked out her pink skirt and a matching white top she begged me for.

Quickly I dressed her and then she ran off to Rachel to tell her where we were going.

"Mummy, I'm going to the shop to get Santa." Violet blurted out all excited and jumping up and down.

"To get Santa?" Rachel gave me a weird look.

"No we're going to get doughnuts shaped like Santa." I corrected her holding out my hand for her to grab and taking her to the door. Rachel agreed and went back to bed as long as she knew violet was safe.

"Come I'll drive then and take Rachel's car with violets car seat." I patted Richards back as he stood at the door tired and wrapped up in his hoodie.

"Good." He grumbled.

We got to the shop quickly and found the festive pastries. It was only a week until Christmas and I was fully getting violet ready for the most festive time of her life.

"Now there, after some coffee and bagels shaped like rudolf don't you feel much better?" I kissed Richard gently rubbing his arm and smiling at him.

"Not really, I feel like I've eaten an overdecorated piece of bread." He laughed back at me.

"Hey! Where's your Christmas spirit?" I moaned.

"With Easter spirit locked away in a room somewhere." Richard frowned.

"You don't like festivities huh?"

"Not really. It was never Christmas for my parents. It was a party that had to be planned. A menu to arrange and money dished out into our bank accounts from the age of 7." He explained.

"I'm getting lots of toys." Violet interrupted.

"Yeah I know Hun," I smiled at her before looking back at Richard as we sat in this cafe. "I will make this the best Christmas you've ever had. Well...Christmas week until Christmas Eve but it will be the best." I said determined.

"I finished my drawing." Violet held out her paper with a picture of her and Santa.

"Wow." Richard smiled.

"It's for you." She said happily handing it to him.

"Thank you." He said taking it from her. "I'll keep it forever and ever." He laughed with her before turning back to me and having a normal conversation as I gave violet more paper to draw on.

- - - - -

"Violet still has school tomorrow. It's her last day." Rachel told me as we sat on the sofa that evening watching the quality tv that was on around Christmas, all wrapped up in blankets.

"Oh yeah? So she can't come out with us?" I asked.

"I don't think so," Dad chuckled to himself.

"Alright, it's cool. We might go into London and have some fun." I smiled across at Richard as sat under the blanket together.

"If you do could you pick up this thing I want to get violet?" Rachel asked me. She was in bed now anyway so we could talk about her Christmas presents.

"Yeah what is it?"

"It's a new coat from a designer shop but they've only got in stock in some of the London stores. I'll text you details if you'll have a look for me. I'd order it online but it won't get here in time for Christmas." Rachel shrugged.

"Yeah sure, no problem. I thought we'd get a train and do some last minute Christmas shopping." I nodded.

"Thank you Jen" Rachel smiled.

"Speaking of Christmas presents..." I smiled across at Richard and Dad and Rachel. "I really don't want you guys to buy me anything. My birthday was hardly a month ago and you spent a lot of money."

"Jenna it's not Christmas without presents." Dad laughed.

"Nothing extravagant please." I nodded trying to get everyone to nod with me.

"Yes we promise." Richard nudged Rachel with his hand as they both laughed.

- - - - -

"I'm sorry you had a shit Christmas growing up." I smiled across at Richard as we lay in bed together.

"That's okay. It wasn't all shit. When I was younger I got presents because it was just me and Charlotte but then the parents lost interest. It all just turned around suddenly and I stopped expecting the fancy gifts and expected cheques instead." He rolled his eyes placing an arm around me.

"That's sad. I mean Dad and I had some bad Christmas' when Mum died but we always had family around and made it work. And now we're a family, and Rachel and violet are here. It's cute again." I explained.

"It's adorable." He kissed my cheek.

"Alright, let's not start this again. I'm tired, see you in the morning." I hummed against his chest as I closed my eyes.