Discharged

We were going back to Ashford this week. I'd been in the hospital everyday morning until night sitting with Lily and Matt and her mum. Richard came once but not for very long. I'd been keeping him at a distance on purpose.

Lily was discharged fairly quickly after her operation maybe only 7 days after, and I was pushing her through the hospital corridors in her wheelchair while we spoke to her Doctor.

"So, any one of the physical therapists on the list will do? Right doctor they're all at the same level?" Lily's mum said following next to me.

"They're all top-notch." The man said smiling.

"Why do I need a physical therapist if I can't move." Lily groaned leaning back and smiling at me.

"Hush you." I chuckled to her as her mum continued.

"And you said lots of rest, but is complete bed rest safest for now?" Her mum continued.

"You cannot confine me to a bed. That's a violation of my rights." Lily ranted.

"Hush you." I snapped again.

"You need to monitor her progress. Everyone recovers at different speeds." The doctor said glancing at Lily.

"And when you say I have to push her in her wheelchair until she recovers how long is that?" I asked being nosey.

"You gotta stop talking about me as if I'm not here." Lily groaned.

"Lily." Her mum snapped.

"Mum..." Lily grumbled grinding her teeth.

"I'd say give it a few days and see if she can move around herself. The quicker she does it the better." The Doctor smiled at me.

"Is it absolutely necessary that Jenna pushes me? I really don't--"

"Hospital policy." I interrupted joking with her.

"Just till you get used to it and gain some strength." The man confirmed.

"Can we at least go faster?" Lily mumbled.

"No." I laughed.

"Doctor, can I go home to your house? I think I'd have much more fun there." Lily smiled turning round to the man desperately.

"Your in good hands, just call if you have any more questions." He smirked at her and then walked off.

"Okay, so, I cut off an old lady with a handicap sticker, so we got a prime spot right out front. Matt is meeting us at dorm to help me get you in bed, and it's a little cold outside, so you might need a scarf. I should have brought you a scarf. Maybe they have some in the gift shop."

"Jenna, stop worrying. I'm fine." She hummed. "Thank you for being here."

"You're welcome." I smiled.

"Oh And I'm not cold. I'm fine." She confirmed.

"You promise?" I frowned.

"I promise." Lily smirked at me.

"Okay, let's go. And by the way we get to go at my speed." I chuckled to myself.

"Wake me when we hit the door." She joked leaning back in the chair and closing her eyes.

- - - - -

"New roommate today Lily." Her mum said sitting in the car.

"Oh yes how exciting." She said sarcastically.

"Maybe this one will make it to 6 weeks at the school before being kicked out." Her mum said. "Want me to come in with you or are you okay?" She been pretty blunt with Lily ever since she introduced Matt to them.

"No stay. I'll see ya later." Lily said getting out the car and grabbing her rucksack and suitcase. This year better be a whole lot better.

Lily walked to her dorm room. She looked up at the welcome written on the whiteboard on her door and she rolled her eyes, until they landed on her new roommate.

Not bad, she wasn't ugly so that was okay. She looked nervous so Lily knew what approach to take to this one.

"Hi." The petite girl said.

"Oh hey, you must be my new roommate." Lily replied looking her up and down but not taking loads of interest and just walking into dorm casually. "I'm Lily." She said eventually.

"Jenna." The girl responded.

Lily smiled at her pointed at her outfit and said "Pretty." Before walking over to the sofa, "So your new?" Lily asked dropping her suitcase unzipping it and taking out a new book and then zipping it up and pushing it under the bunks.

"Yeah I just got here" She said perching on the edge of the desk chair.

"Lucky for you" Lily smirked walking over to the faded, armless sofa and flopping onto it. This girl just smiled as if that was a joke.

"Want a piece of advice?" Lily said smiling and raising her eyebrows but not taking her eyes off of her book.

"Sure... Okay" Jenna said Willingly but biting at the corner of my lip. Lily moved so she sat on the edge of the sofa facing her and she whispered as it if was a secret "Don't hang out with the unpopular's."

"Okay..." Was all Jenna managed to say, she looked thoroughly confused.

"You want to have a good time here?" Lily asked raising her eyebrows.

"Sure" She said. 

"Sure?" Lily asked hesitantly.

"Yeah I guess I want to have a good time here... Why?" Jenna looked pretty nervous as she spoke.

"Stick with me" Lily added.

"What?" Jenna asked bluntly, she quickly covered her mouth as it formed an O shape.

"You're pretty, you have style. I like you, you're pretty cool." Lily smiled and sat back in the sofa she finally had control over one of her roommates. Or well, so she thought.

- - - - -

"Same old dorm, same old roommate." I smiled as we went into dorm. "See, I told you nothing would change." I laughed positioning her next to the sofa and then sitting down myself on the sofa.

"This is weird. You have to admit, Jen this is weird as fuck." Lily freaked out suddenly.

"Woah okay. What's the matter?" I asked her gently.

"I'm in a wheelchair." She half gasped, half whispered.

"Yes." I stated smiling at her still.

"How am I going to do this? Go to school and get up everyday without assistance." Lily started to panicked.

"Well that's why I'm here, and Matt's almost here." I laughed knowing he was meant to be here but got caught up at school for a bit. We were sitting exams soon.

"But I have to rely on you guys and I-I don't want that." Lily stressed.

"The doctor said when you do all your physical therapy and stuff that you'll eventually gain the strength to get into and out of bed by yourself and you wouldn't rely on anyone." I comforted her.

"Hey." Matt walked in just at the right time.

"Hey look it's Matt, your one true love. Maybe he can explain to you that it's okay to rely on us for a bit, while you build up the energy to do stuff by yourself." I nervously chattered moving away from Lily and feeling guilty as hell.

"Yeah of course. We know what's going on and until then I get to carry you to your room." Matt laughed and hearing that from him, calmed her down considerably.

I felt so ridiculously guilty.

Lily had many panic attacks and freak outs whilst in the hospital but I was never allowed near her and she was always calmed down. Of course she was afraid at what might happen to her.