Thursday

"What are you doing on Thursday then?" Lily said pushing her way next to Richard in the corridor and walking alongside him carefully as the seniors surrounded him.

"Nothing, why?" Richard shrugged.

"You're not spending it with Jenna?" Lily scoffed getting all annoyed at him but he had no idea why.

"No, why would I? In fact... I think Thursday is my sisters wedding. Why is something important coming up? Jenna's birthday is in November isn't it?" Richard panicked as if he'd missed something.

"Yes. But it's someone else's birthday this Thursday. Someone who means a lot to Jenna." Lily hinted at him but he looked more confused than ever.

"Her dad? Violet?" Richard repeated.

"No! You idiot." Lily punched his arm annoyed.

"Who?" He moaned.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe some horrific event that happened this time last year will help you... Oh Your daughter." She snapped at him again and punch his arm once again.

"Fuck, no way is it July already?" Richard moaned. "Since we haven't had classes or anything we're just going out all the time I have no idea what day it is or the date. It's really this Thursday?"

"Yes you idiot." Lily groaned at him annoyed.

"But I have the wedding, and my sister-- and my parents..." Richard got all panicked not sure what he was going to do.

"Well, you need it sort it out." Lily sang walking away from him and leaving him panicked.

- - - - -

"I've decided not to go to the wedding, well not to the whole thing. I can check in on Jenna and meet my sister for the party in the evening, she won't even notice I'm not there." Richard said Lily at lunch as they were waiting to meet everyone else.

"Really? You're just going to pop in on her? What if she's crying, will you leave her?" Lily questioned him.

"I don't know, we'll see.. But shh here she comes." Richard widened his eyes as Jenna approached them with everyone else and he got up smiling at them before walking off to his own table.

"Was he keeping you company?" I laughed sitting beside Lily.

"Huh? Yeah. He was, I was alone, he saw me and we chatted." She said breezily.

"Cool." I smiled at her but she was acting a little differently recently, thought I didn't care much because we'd gone so long without any arguments I was feeling so much happier.

We finished school this week and most of my lessons have been cancelled on Thursday and Friday but I'm not telling dad that because we plan to stay here next week and hang out as a group without school around.

I would rather have been at school on Thursday like Lily, she's got classes all day but all my lessons are cancelled because all the teachers can't be bothered anymore. But that meant on Thursday I was keeping myself busy.

I did think about asking Richard to go to Maisie's grave because I still don't have my own car but I decided not to. I didn't even know whether he remembered she was born this time last year. It's an awkward conversation to bring up.

He hadn't said anything to me so I just left it.

- - - - -

"Is Jenna home?" Matt said as Lily was making fine work of his shirt getting it off of him quickly as he stepped in the door.

"No, of course not." She scoffed hungrily pressing her lips up against his and he willing joined in pushing her towards her bedroom.

"You really thing this is a good idea?" Matt mumbled as Lily was kicking off her shoes.

"Yes, I really do." She laughed looking over at him concerned.

"Lil, I love you, you know." Matt smiled before she gently pressed her lips to his again and he took that as she loved him too. Though everything was messed up what they were doing right now was totally called for.

- - - - -

We were hurtling towards Thursday in no time at all. It was like time sped up and my lessons seemed shorter and the days seemed quicker. The only thing I knew was this morning was Maisie's birthday.

I laid in bed and I didn't sulk like I wanted to, I was just flicking through my photos of Maisie on my phone and oddly, smiling, because she was so damn cute I just wanted to hug her there and then.

I'd been up since about 5am not able to sleep but when Lily woke up she leant over and hugged me straight away and then laid next to me as she showed me some of the photos she took Maisie this time last year.

I... May of cried but not loads and Lily just made me laugh after that.

"Hey you get out of bed today yeah?" Lily said sitting up and getting off my bed to finish getting ready and go to school.

"Yes mum." I groaned at her and she smiled over at me.

"You call me, no matter what alright?" She said making serious eye contact with me as I pulled my sheets up over my neck.

"Yes Lily, thank you." I said turning over to read a few messages I got from close friends saying all these things that were meant to make me feel better but were never going to make me feel better.

Laying in bed was fine. It was when I sat up in my shorts and long t-shirt that I started to feel sick and like I wanted to collapse into tears.

I had no school so I was wallowing about watching to trying to distract myself but dad was texting me all day asking me how I was. It kind of made me laugh and we did talk on the phone for a bit which distracted me some more until I had to hang up on him because I had a knock on the door.