Brunch

"Hi." Lily said in her fake, perky little voice, walking into dorm right in the middle of Richard and I having a decent friends conversation for once in our entire time knowing each other.

"Ignore her." I grumbled to Richard as I continued to show him this cool video on my phone.

"Do you always go crying to lover boy when you have no friends?" Lily smiled gently sitting on coffee table almost directly in front of both of us. I saw Lucy and Olivia leaving at this point.

"Hey lil, come on." Richard tested by being friendly to her.

"Now you've got him sticking up for you? You're bigger than that miss I don't care if I'm popular." Lily scowled at me.

"Alright, that's it." I lashed out standing up and shouting at her.

"Jen calm it." Richard took my hand trying to get me to sit back down but I wouldn't budge, not now

"No. This is it, I'm apologising. I'm in the wrong here." I moaned looking at Lily and then glancing at Richard. "This applies to you to, and Lucy and Olivia and everyone else." I explained. "I don't want to fight anymore I hate it."

"Jen-" lily suddenly changed her attitude fast.

"You've made it perfectly clear." I spat at her. "You've made it clear that I'm not the perfect person and I understand that, so I'm apologising for anything wrong I've done Lily. I'm sorry for being with Matt, but I'm not going to stop seeing him. I'm sorry for being this horrible friend, being needy and controlling since Maisie died." I pointed slightly at Richard at this point.

"I haven't been myself but who cares, if you cared you'd see past it. And you have until now, but it has been over 6 months and from now on the sympathy ends." I explained.

"If I'm rude or stupid or needy I don't have any excuse now. Call me out on it and ok fix it." I shrugged. "I haven't seen clearly since Maisie and that's not good. I'm sorry Lily." I looked down at the last bit.

"The sympathy ends?" Lily asked.

"It's over." I smiled.

"Then that's fine with me." Lily suddenly smiled and stopped acting like the bitch she was being.

"It is?" I asked.

"You lost your kid, and you got a lot of attention especially in the boys department so I guess I was just kind of jealous." Lily replied.

"Can we go back to the way things were last year?" I asked gently.

"I'd love to." Lily smiled quickly pulling me in for a hug.

"Well now this is over can I just add that i think now is a great time to sit back and watch tv?" Richard laughed leaning back in the chair and pulling me down next to him.

"Great idea." Lily added squeezing in next to me and we all laid back and watched to until very late at night.

- - - - -

"Dad." I smiled answering the phone whilst I was at the paper typing away.

"We're here." Dad said down the phone.

"Oh great, where are you?" I asked excitedly.

"Checking in, I didn't know they made such a big deal out of this parents weekend thing. We're wearing name tags and signing up for classes? There is loads of people here." Dad said a little bit freaked out.

"Oh yeah, they've got a breakfast laid out in the canteen for all parents, decoration all around the school as well classes, events, dinners, tours and all sorts to do." I smiled looking through the window as I saw parents wondering around on the grounds around the school.

"God this is a fancy school." Dad sighed.

"Maybe you'll learn something." I laughed.

"Yeah maybe, where are you?" He asked.

"I'm at the paper but I have classes today it's still Friday remember." I explained.

"Can you meet us?" Dad asked.

"For..." I glanced at the clock on my laptop. "20 minutes then I have class." I explained.

"Well that's better than nothing." Dad laughed.

"I'll meet you at the check in desk." I smiled before hanging up the phone. I grabbed my bag and stepped out of my office where I was bombarded with parents.

"You're the editor?" They asked.

"Why doesn't my son get frequent bylines?" They all said. I tried to avoid the questions and asked them to come back later because I was leaving.

- - - - -

It was a really nice day in December though it was cold the sun was out and it looked nice. The grass was green and entrance to Ashford was decorated nicely with desks all over the front lawn for the crowds of parents to check in and get a name tag and sign up for event and classes.

It took a while but I found dad and he had Violet at his feet and Rachel next to him.

"Hey guys." I met them and smiled straight away. I bent down in front of Violet and she latched on to me, hugging me tightly. "Hey little one."

"I'm not little, I'm a big girl." Violet replied like it was an automatic response.

"Okay someone's grown up since starting year 1." I laughed kissing her forehead.

"She's saying it to anyone." Rachel laughed. I stood up laughing and then looked around.

"So, I have class in 15 minutes but I can show you to the fancy dining hall where's there brunch to serve thousands?" I smiled looking down at Violet quickly.

"Sounds like a brilliant idea." Dad smiled back at me.

"Lets go." I guided them towards the canteen which was overly decorated in the royal blue of the school colours with table clothes over every table and fancy brunch laid out everywhere. Even fancy little mini waffles and muffins.

"I should really go but I'm only in English for 45 minutes then I can come and meet you guys for lunch, if you need me just text and I can always fake an emergency and come and get you if you're lost." I explained leaving them amongst all the other deserted families in the canteen.

"Alright honey." Dad smiled.

"Bye dad." I kissed his cheek. "Bye V." I leant down and kissed her forehead. "Bye guys," I said generally waving to them all and then disappearing off to lesson.