Speeches and poems

"I thought I'd take this opportunity to just say a few words." Richard appeared besides Maisie's grave as I looked up as the tears were gone from my eyes. "At the funeral, it was very much a sad time for both Jenna and I so it was a short ceremony and I didn't realise how much I actually had to say. Many people don't know the full story and I'd like to share it with all mine and Jenna's close friends and family."  Richard was stood up on a rock looking down at us all.

I stood up straight holding Lily's hand tight scared that she might leave me and I'd be all alone.

"So Thank you to everyone for being here today to pay tribute to my daughter." He began looking down at a sheet of paper nervously.

"Losing a child is a parent's worst nightmare and I cannot put into words the grief that Jenna and I are feeling. The love and support that we have received from all of our friends and family has helped significantly in getting us through this difficult time." He looked nervous and was shaking as he frequently looked up at the crowd of people.

"Maisie was our first child and perhaps you all know she wasn't exactly planned, but I will never forget the day that she was born and the way she made me feel." Richard continued and I smiled up at him happily.

"She was an angel and a gift from heaven." Richard paused for a moment and looked down at everyone.

"But Like most father's I was nervous for her birth and worried if I was ready to be a father and for what was to come ahead. However, the moment I held her in my arms I knew that I would do anything for her." He smiled along at me. People hummed and awed.

"I was very protective over her and I wanted to make sure she had a happy childhood. I wanted to spoil her, but really all I cared about was making her happy. I know that she was, even for the short time she was with us." Richard looked at me and then at the floor I could see the tears in his eyes and I knew he wasn't ready for this.

"Having a daughter also taught me a lot about myself." He sniffed silently. "She showed me how the things in life that used to cause me stress were inconsequential. There is nothing more important than family and the love of a child. Jenna and I were so blessed to have such a beautiful child like Maisie." He continued to look at me and I glanced around at everyone who was crying more than I was.

"From the minute Maisie was born, I always wanted her to be safe and thought that I could protect her from everything. However, when she was diagnosed with her condition it was difficult to take because it was out of my control." This was when I felt my tears start up again.

"All I could do was provide her comfort and pray that she could overcome her breathing condition." He took a deep breath and I'd never seen him so worked up. "Jenna and I went through a tough few days in the hospital surrounded by staff such as Victoria..." He pointed over towards her. "And many others who were there for Maisie and us both." I didn't even know Victoria was here.

"We knew that it wasn't looking good after one afternoon when Maisie's breathing failed and I found myself in rather a dark place but pushed this aside to assist, my girlfriend at the the time Jenna, who as you all know was terribly upset."

"I couldn't help but think if anything happened to our little girl, what would happen next...?" Richard paused and looked around at everyone as they were respectful and stayed quiet.

"After a short fight, Maisie succumbed to her condition and was put out of her misery." People bowed their heads.

"Maisie, your beautiful smile, face and tiny toes are things I will remember most about you. Your mother and I will never forget what a wonderful little girl you were and your memory will live on in our hearts forever." He breathed heavily towards the end and I could tell he was shaking as I saw everyone around me sniffing and crying. "Life was too short." Is how he ended.

He had a poem to read but even Richard was breaking down at this point and I stepped forward and asked Lily to read it for him. "Please read it for him he won't be able to." I whispered sniffing and pushed Lily towards him.

I felt his arms around me and everyone tapped him on the shoulder for being such a good man and doing that.

"I'm just going to finish it off for Richard because we all know how hard it must be for them both." Lily smiled, surprisingly keeping it together. "There's a poem and I thought it would be nice if everyone had a listen to this as I really think it speaks to us."

Lily cleared her throat ready to start talking and then focused on the paper. "You can shed tears that she is gone
Or you can smile because she was born
You can close your eyes and pray that she will come back
Or you can open your eyes and see all that she has left." Lily smiled at me at the his pointed and I smiled back encouraging her to continue.

"Your heart can be empty because you can't see her
Or you can be full of the love that you shared
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday
Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday." Everything went quite and I could suddenly hear the whole crowd crying. It was calm and everyone was listening.

"You can remember her and only that she is gone
Or you can cherish her memory and let it live on
You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back
Or you can do what she would want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on." Lily finished sniffing and staring at me. The last few words definitely applying to me in this case and I started to sob into Richard chest as now he had calmed down and was just supporting me.

The poem got to me and apparently got to everyone else too. I heard almost every one crying and trying to cover it up. I felt ridiculously sad. More sad than the funeral. We'd not done this at the funeral because I said no to everything.

But it was perfect, Maisie's grave covered in flowers and everyone's cards saying such nice things and the flowers and Richard speech. I did not see that coming at all.