seleccion mexicana top ten goals

Start from the beginning

*honorable mention* - ever guzman vs brazil u17 (world cup u17 final 2005).

another honorable mention on my list of best seleccion goals. this didn't get a spot on my actual list because it wasn't a senior team goal.

this is one of the most significant seleccion mexicana goals.

it was a final, against BRAZIL. we were clearly the underdogs, because who cheers for mexico when brazil is in the final? most people thought the verde amarela would take the cup. but everyone thought wrong.

mexico was already winning that game with goals from carlos vela (sound familiar?) and omar esparza. with a few minutes left before the game would end, ever guzman scores an amazing goal that really made things clear as to who would take the cup home. 

that was a magical year for mexico because it was the first time any of our categories became WORLD CHAMPIONS. they were our first golden generation. the second would follow their footsteps six years later. 

6. nery castillo vs brazil (copa america 2007 group stage match).

all i have to say about this goal is...SOMBRERITO. bahaha. nery was a badass. sigh. what happened to him?

5. giovani dos santos vs netherlands (brazil 2014 round of sixteen).

this one breaks my heart because we ended up losing the match.

but for 40 minutes we were touching the skies. the doors of heaven were open for us, and we were practically in the next round thanks to my little gio. i mean...for mexico to defeat a privileged football country was like a dream. but FIFA had to wake us from that dream, and things ended badly for us. say no to racism, my mexican ass. they are the ones who discriminate the football underdogs the most. 

but anyway, just the smile on his face when he scored that goal makes me so sad now.

4. luis matador vs germany (france 1998 round of sixteen).

i put this one next to gio's goal against netherlands because the circumstances were so very alike. 

both games took place on the 29th of june. mexico vs germany was 1998 though, while mexico vs netherlands was 2014. another similarity is that the final score was 2-1 with mexico losing in the round of sixteen. the final similarity is the time in which mexico's goal was scored.

matador scored during the 47th minute.

gio scored at minute 48.

but atleast that 1998 match was lost fairly. to me, matador's goal was significant because like many times in our football history (mexico), we were so close to achieving that fifth match we so badly want. and also like always, we ended up not getting there. but the pride and happiness in 1998 was great because we had been so close to defeating GERMANY. in 2014 we were left with anger and resentment that we were not treated fairly.

why? we are not european, so we dont get the favors. oops.

3. luis matador vs netherlands (france 1998 group stage match).

this would have been my number one choice, if the one in the number one spot did not exist. 

okay. this was such a significant goal for mexico as a nation that year. we started out losing the match 2-0. and we needed a draw or a win to continue to the next round. so mexico returned in the second half and scored one goal.

they played the rest of the match very well, but were unable to draw. but wait, they still had a few minutes of added time. and with TEN SECONDS left on the clock, after burning through added time, LUIS MATADOR EQUALIZES. if you watch the vid (the one with perro bermudez' commentary), you can hear him counting down.