Visitors

He faintly regretted looking through their holiday album, he even made a stupid wish. 'I wish Shikaku could visit me during Christmas.'

If this was how Kami wanted to grant that wish, by making him go insane from his mind finally deteriorating then it was cruel. Why did he have to endure his loving husband's shadow taunting him of their wonderful time together? He woke up in fits of rage, his bedroom littered in seals to keep the rest of the clan at ease as he took on the wilder version of himself. He drew on Kurama's chakra because he was afraid of the illusion. So, his eyes bled into Kurama's, his nails elongated into claws that would tear the bedsheets to shreds. He has left a crying mess after; he was being dragged back to when Shikaku just died.

The emptiness in his heart wanted him to end it all but held on for the sake of Shikamaru. Back then he knew that if he truly committed suicide Shikamaru would be broken. He was already broken just watching him waste away as months grew by. If he, did it now Shikamaru and Shikadai's sanity was on the line. Not to mention their partners, the entire clan relied on him. How could he take to coward's route when his large family needed him? He bit back tears as he felt the presence again. 'The beginning of the end for Naruto Nara huh? How cruel. To die by insanity for not getting over his husband. How befitting, a love story to be told for generations of one's wife faithfulness.'

He chuckled coldly as he heads back into the kitchen, this time devoid of all emotion, he was just going through the motions. Nothing more, nothing less.

********

It was in the living room over drinks did Naruto acknowledge Shikaku's shadow in the corner. He smiled bitterly at the figure. "When I'm gone, please don't grieve me too much," Naruto said softly as he continued looking at Shikaku.

That killed the joyful atmosphere instantly. Shikamaru and Shikadai who were playing Shogi on the floor paused as let the words sink in. Temari who was walking back in with a tray of desserts dropped it in shock. Inojin who was laying in Naruto's lap looked up at the blonde whose eyes were empty. "Mom what are you talking about?" Shikamaru asked as he rushed over to his side. Naruto turned to him as the glass of wine he was drinking was taken by Inojin.

"I'm going senile Shikamaru," Naruto confessed as tears started to stroll down his face. "I thought I had gotten over it. But I see him everywhere and there is a presence suffocating me. I can't look you and Shikadai in the eye without seeing him."

Hearing his grandmother's words Shikadai hurriedly took the other side where Inojin was once sitting. "Baa-chan you aren't going crazy."

Naruto laughed through his tears and shook his head as he saw Shikaku walk forward. "Well, tell that to illusion in front of me. You can't see what I see because my mind is turning into a mess. I just don't understand, I was fine, I was happy. Why am I seeing this now?" Naruto wailed and in everyone's eyes though he looked beautiful crying the situation made it all the more painful. Yes, Naruto's body stopped aging but that didn't cover his mental state.

Shikamaru's heart ached at the thought of seeing his strong mother lose everything he had ever known. He wouldn't even know how to start taking care of him. But he knew that he had to at least move back into the house. He turned to Temari and it seemed the woman had the same thoughts as him. She nodded as she looked next to tears. If Naruto was going insane, she wanted to hold his hand just like he held hers when she was afraid.

"We need to visit Tsunade, okay?" Shikadai said softly as he tried to coax Naruto to look at him. When Naruto turned to him, he shuddered. He never thought his grandmother could look at him so coldly. Devoid of the joy he knew for years. He gulped but still pulled Naruto into his arms. "We'll get through this I promise."

"You're such a sweet one Shikadai, Inojin's lucky to have you. I promise for the rest of the time we have together I'll impart something very valuable to you."

Shikaku felt it was cruel as well, he should've left but he couldn't help but want to see his wife again. He didn't know why he was brought here but when seeing Naruto, he felt it was worth it. Of course, it pained him to see the blonde take him as an illusion but he couldn't do much other than whisper his affection. He couldn't tell Naruto he was a spirit simply because the heavenly beings forbid it. He finally got to see Shikadai properly and he could only smile at the young Nara who had a promising future. Shikamaru looked like he made leaps and bounds with Naruto there to guide him and seeing them all together made him really happy.

He couldn't wait to meet Naruto back in the celestial plane. He leaned down towards a frightened Naruto and kissed his forehead. "I'll wait for you."

Naruto cried harder and Shikaku took his leave. Seeing his wife cry hurt but seeing him alive made it worth it. He was healthy and that's all he could ever ask for. When Naruto joined him, he would explain this weird time.