Ch. 31 - Faye the Protecter

We learned more about the formation and did some extra training on the days before the expedition. Soon the time came where we would depart into titan territory.

We were all now settled in on horseback in the Karanes district which was on the eastern side. Meaning if we were to head to Shiganshina it wouldn't be a straight path since Trost's gate is no more and blocked by a boulder.

I hadn't seen my family since that day. They've been slowly helping people settle back into Trost and rebuilding. I know I needed to visit at some point. I'll visit after the expedition, if I survive.

I was currently on a dark grey dappled arabian horse. It was a pretty rare breed. She only seems to like me. The way our relationship bloomed is an interesting and very unfun story. For me anyway.

Couple days ago

"Today you'll be getting to know your horses!" Section leader Ness.

It was just Reiner, Mikasa, Armin, Bertholdt, Sasha, Connie, Ymir, Christa, and I for lessons today. Other recruits groups were doing different stuff today.

We were to get use to using our gear on horseback and we were to get to know our horses. Creating a bond with them will help you trust them to come back to you on expeditions. Scouts need to have a strong relationship with their horses.

I was put on a dark brown quarter-horse named Jace. I didn't really feel a strong connection with him as I did simple drills in the field just outside headquarters. It was the space between headquarters and the forest we trained with ODM gear.

We were about to switch to horseback ODM training when we all heard a commotion. We got off of our horse's and noticed a couple of scouts trying to rangel a horse. It ended up kicking out its back legs, staring the two soldiers and bolted towards the forest.

"Jean! You speak horse. Tell it to stop," Connie teased.

"Yeah. Like that'll work," Jean sarcastically said as the horse charged towards our group.

Jean ended up jumping away in fright as the horse just ran past us.

"Come on Jean. Go get your brethren," Connie joked some more.

"Connie. I'm gonna kill you!" Jean yelled.

I hopped back on my horse and chased after the run away stead.

"(Y/N)! Come back!" Christa called and went to go after me, but Ymir stopped her from mounting her horse.

I rode after the horse and eventually caught up to it. It was faster than Jace though, so we were about a foot behind. I had to change tactics. I stood up on my horse and leaped off, activating my ODM gear. I used as much gas as I could and flew after the stead. When I got just above it, I released my grapples and landed on it's back.

The horse didn't respond well to that. It began to try and buck me off, but I held on. I spoke softly to it, trying to calm it down. After awhile, it began to fight less and less to the point where it stopped. I had a giant headache at that point and was very tired.

I slowly got off the horse and walked in front of her lightly grabbing their reins. More like her reins actually. She wasn't please with that and pushed her nose against me, wanting to let go. I sighed and let go.

"You're sure a stubborn mare," I mumbled and gazed around. "I...don't know the way back."

I chuckled nervously and began to whistle for Jace. There was no response. I huffed in annoyance.

"I guess I'll just use my gear and climb a tree," I mumbled.

I went to pull the trigger on my gear and all the sudden a rope was thrown around me. Someone tugged on it and it nagged me back, choking me slightly. I fell back and began to try and pry it off of me while I heard the mare stomp around as I noticed the culprits trying to get a hold of her.