Ch. 85 - Manipulated

Warning: Spoilers. If you haven't read the manga there are slight spoilers in this chapter.

"Hey! You over there!" A man with glasses called to a young child. "Could you toss me that ball?"

The child then picked it up and threw it back to the man. He caught it and was quite impressed.

"Heh. Not bad for a little kid," he commented and then threw it back. "Here."

The child then caught it and looked at the baseball surprised.

"Nice catch!" The man complimented. "I was getting tired of this wall. Think you could keep me company for a bit instead?"

"Ah...Wait..A red arm band!" The child said surprised. "So you're are.."

"One of those Marleyan Warriors you want to become. Of course, I just play ball around here since my Beast Titan isn't too useful in a war," he responded. "I'm Tom Xavier. My real job is being a titan science researcher though. What's your name kid?"

The child then threw the ball back and replied, "Zeke Jaeger."

"Well, Zeke," Tom said as he got the ball with his mitt. "You're pretty good at this. I think you're a natural pitcher."

Days later

"Man you were a mess the other day," Tom commented. "You don't seem like you actually want to become a warrior."

"I had to become one, but I was no good," Zeke replied softly as they played catch.

"It's natural. It would be stupid to become a warrior anyway," Tom stated. "You'd shorten your lifespan, invade other countries, and kill its citizens. Why would you want to bother doing something stupid like that."

"Then why did you become a Warrior?" Zeke asked curiously.

"I wanted to know the secrets of the titans," Tom replied. "I am a researcher afterall."

"They say the nine titans existed for two thousand years before we were born. It's a complete miracle and I still can't believe it. Blood and flesh and bones, all being sent through some invisible path. Doesn't it seem ridiculous to you too?" Tom rambled on. "If the legends are true, it all started when the Founder, Ymir, came in contact with something. I wanted to know what happened then, two thousand years ago. So much that I was willing to shorten my life to search through a titans memories. That's why I'm totally useless in war. But hate and conflict all seem ridiculous compared to the mysteries of the titans. So I can't be bothered to play war with them."

Tom then threw the ball back to Zeke and smiled.

"You and I are alike, Zeke," he spoke again. "We're both decent people. A real rarity in this world."