Ch. 16 - Finally Happy

I wasn't prepared for today's exercise. We are supposed to work on our tracking and survival skills, and the instructor had an interesting concept for that. Half of the ground would be the trackers and the other half are supposedly thieves or whatever they're trying to track down. So kind like a hunter finding its prey situation.

I hated it. I hated it even more when I was given the role of the prey, essentially. The prey weren't allowed ODM gear. That's the survival part. The game is supposed to last until all of the prey is found, or the hunters concede.

The team of hunters consisted of Jean, Reiner, Christa, Mikasa, Annie, Thomas, Sasha, and Marco.

The team of prey are myself, Ymir, Bertholdt, Mina, Daz, Samuel, Eren, Connie, and Armin.

We were given a thirty minute head start, along with a small survival pack. When the time came, I raced into the woods and made sure to get as far away from anyone. In order to succeed longer, it would be better to split up so it'll be more difficult.

I decided staying in a high tree would be a good idea. They would use the trees as vantage points, but would more likely be searching the ground since we don't have our gear. 

I climbed up a tree and made sure I was high enough to where the branches and leaves would make it difficult to see where I was. I sat up there for a long time, making a plan in my head.

I have rope, so I'll tie it to a branch in case I need to make a quick escape. I have rations for one day and I'll need to find a source of water depending on how long we're out here. There is a stream east.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard the sound of ODM gear. I glanced down to see Sasha landing on the ground. She was checking for footprints and anyway to track someone. She had noticed my steps near the trees, but I don't think her brain had the capacity to realize I climbed a tree. She huffed and then sniffed the air before blasting off in a different direction.

I let out a sigh of relief and laid back on the branch. I was going to be here for a while.

A few hours went by and there was nothing going on. I could swear I heard a few shouts from a far every so often, but that was it. It was becoming dark and it would be easier for the 'prey' to move around since it'll be difficult for the hunters to find us.

Once it was completely dark, I used the rope I was given and made my way out of the tree. I then headed off and noticed a fire nearby. The people who sat around it were Annie, Reiner, Jean, Marco, Christa, and Thomas. No sign of Mikasa and Sasha. I stood behind a tree nearby so that I could listen in on their conversation.

"So, who have we caught so far?" Thomas asked curiously.

"Mikasa caught Eren and Daz, I was able to find Samuel, Reiner got Armin, and Annie and Sasha caught Connie," Jean stated.

"So, that leaves (Y/N), Ymir, Bertholdt, and Mina," Marco responded.

"Bertholdt will be caught eventually for being indecisive and nervous," Annie commented. "I'll be able to find him."

"I bet any of us will be able to track down Mina," Thomas said.

"Which leaves Ymir and (Y/N)," Reiner commented. "Christa should be able to get Ymir."

"How do you know?" Christa questioned.

"I just do," he stated in response. "(Y/N). She's a tricky one."

"Not to alarm anyone," Annie began. "But I have a feeling we're being watched."

I panicked and then looked around me. I could climb, but they have maneuvering gear, they'll catch up. I need a small distraction. I spotted a rock and chucked it as far as I could.