Mastermind!Kaede Akamatsu x Reader x Mastermind!Shuichi Saihara - In Plain Sight

A/N: Just trying something new >:3

Also, sorry for not mentioning earlier, but thanks a billion for 100k reads! I honestly never thought I'd be getting this milestone. Thanks to everyone who reads this! You mean a lot to me.

--

Breathless giggling was what woke you up.

A heaviness settled over your eyelids as you came back to consciousness, and you vaguely registered someone's hand lightly threading through your hair.

"I think she's waking," a vaguely familiar voice murmured.

"She is," a more feminine voice agreed. Then you could feel breath across your ear, making you shiver. "Hey... you wanna wake up for us, (y/n)?"

Slowly, you cracked an eye open. Then the other.

You seemed to have your head lying in the girl's lap, judging from the view. Pink and blonde filled your sight, and if you glanced to your right you could see black and navy.

The girl smiled sweetly at you, you slender fingers tracing the curve of your ear. "Good morning, honey," she cooed to you.

Something seemed off about her eyes, but you couldn't pinpoint what.

"We've been waiting a long time for you to wake up, love," the boy at her side added, reaching out to cup your cheek.

You puzzled over this for a moment, a frown deepening on your face.

Then you remembered. A fragment of a memory came back to you, the names and identities of these two. How could you have forgotten? You'd become close to Kaede and Shuichi in the few days you'd been here.

Your eyes widened and you made to sit up, "W- what, wait--"

"Oh no no, don't try to get up yet!" Kaede insisted, pulling you back down. "You're still hurt -- that Kaito did quite the number on you, didn't he?"

"What happened...?"

"Don't worry about the finer details," Shuichi hushed, pressing the tip of his finger against your lips. "What matters right now is that we're finally alone together."

"Alone...? W- what--"

"Shu, she doesn't remember that part!" Kaede whined, giving him a frown. "If you try to force the memories, it's only gonna hurt more!"

"Right, right, sorry."

You squinted. "Wait, wait, wait... can you please tell me what's going on here? Why did you say 'alone'? Where are the others? Why isn't Kaede..."

The girl's eyes softened, and she leaned in to hug your head to her stomach. "Oh, honey... you don't quite remember everything?"

"The others lost the trial," Shuichi offered gently. "You were the only one who won."

"I-- I won?" You stammered, eyes wide with fear. "But I didn't kill anyone!"

"You voted for the right person," Kaede reminded, her nails gently scratching your scalp. "Remember...?"

You tried. You tried to bring back the memory, but it was a total blank. The last thing you did recall was the blow to the head that knocked you out, but before that...

"You said that... Kaito hit me?" You asked, licking your dry lips.

"He gave you a real knockout," Shuichi confirmed with a frown. "I wish we could've made his execution last longer."

"You know that wouldn't have been very fair." Kaede pouted. "Everyone lost, so they all got the same length of punishment. It's only fair if we left him for last."

You blinked. "Wait... so you aren't bluffing? Everyone is dead?"

The two looked at each other for a moment, seemingly communicating in silence. Then they began chuckling.

Shuichi leaned in to gently peck your forehead. "Oh, silly. Of course we aren't bluffing. Why would we lie to our most precious person?"

Most precious...

You remembered.

It should have been so obvious from the beginning... you should have realized that their convenient disappearances meant something more.

Your eyes widened. "Holy shit..."

"Finally realizing the truth?" Kaede giggled, her cold hands pressed against your cheeks. "You were always such a smart girl. That's why we fell for you, y'know?"

You looked around. You were still in the trial room, though you were on the ground. Kaede's thighs were what your head was lying in, and Shuichi had your legs strewn over his thighs.

Tears bubbled up in your eyes when the memories of the trial hit you. "They... they accused me..."

"I know, I know baby," Kaede shushed, wiping your tears with her thumb. "But Shuichi helped you. He helped prove your innocence."

"By killing them?"

"They knew the rules, love," he reminded softly, ghosting his hand across your knee. "If they hadn't been hasty enough to jump to accusations, maybe they would have still been alive."

You nodded speechlessly, unable to do anything other than lay there in silence.

My friends...

"They weren't very good friends, were they?" Kaede huffed. "My poor girl... Even Tsumugi played her part a little too well to the end."

Despair began to seep into your mind the more you thought of it. In the fierce tumult to find out the mastermind, how could they have ever betrayed you? Your friends should have known you were innocent... and yet they still accused you. Nobody save for Shuichi stuck up for you, too afraid of what would happen should they guess wrong.

Well, they still guessed wrong. And now everyone else was dead.

When Shuichi pressed a kiss to your knee, you smiled. Tears streamed down your face and you looked up at Kaede in relief.

"I... I'm happy," you admitted. "I'm happy that I know it's you."

"I hope so," Kaede replied lovingly. "Because we've got an entire campus to live in together... forever."

"We'll take good care of you, (y/n)," Shuichi continued. "We love you more than anything, after all."

--

A/N: I'm eternally mad that Kaede or Shuichi weren't the mastermind. I mean think about it! Kaede would have been perfect from the get-go; why would the mastermind want to try so hard to expose themselves? She could have even pulled a Junko and faked her own death, only to come back for the finale!

And Shuichi. Boy, don't get me started. If Kaede had somehow survived the first trial, it would have been amazing to watch these two work together to unmask the mastermind... only for Kaede to find out that the mastermind's identity was her partner (and possible love interest) the whole time! Think of the drama! The excitement! Imagine if Shuichi kept his pre-V3 personality for this!

Anyway, my salt aside, I hope you enjoyed. Please tell me what you thought, feel free to request, and I'll see you guys later!