Human!Monokuma x Reader - Trump Card

A/N: What's this? Two updates in fifteen minutes, and a longer one with Monokuma? In my story? it's more likely than you think.

-

(y/n) trembled on her bed, fidgeting with one of the tassels hanging off of the front of her shirt as she cried. As the Ultimate Hypnotist, unfortunately, it seemed like all anyone wanted was for her to exercise her talent for the wrong reasons. Even before Hope's Peak, she remembered multiple instances, when she was just a fledgling hypnotist, when clients would come in and selfishly demand that she use her expertise for love, or for riches, or even to get back at someone.

However, she'd never been called upon to use your talents for anything such as this. As much as she hated to work with self-proclaimed Ultimate Despairs, if she didn't comply to their desires, they would kill her loved ones and force her to watch.

It seemed like hope was extinct nowadays, but the first time she laid eyes on a certain underclassman with an unfortunate penchant for getting into sticky situations, she decided that maybe life was worth fighting for after all.

So it was decided that (y/n) would hide out with Junko in the shadows, watching as Mukuro went about the school acting like her sister would. Their 'ally', as (y/n) hated to call him, a psychotic man who called himself Monokuma (based on the bear walking around the halls at the moment), would act as headmaster. She had, unfortunately, known about Junko's personality. As smooth as she could be, she could switch from being energetic in one moment to being completely psycho in another. (y/n) had surmised that, no doubt, she would inevitably kill someone off. And Monokuma would be all-too-eager to comply.

And kill someone off, she did. (y/n) had watched with horror as 'Junko Enoshima' was impaled with spears. A single tear trickled down her cheek when she saw the betrayal in Mukuro's eyes, the horror that crept upon her as she realized that she was going to die. That night, (y/n) had dismissed herself back to her personal quarters and wept bitterly for the senseless loss of Mukuro's life.

Meanwhile, Monokuma found himself taking a liking to her. The doe-eyed (h/c)-haired young woman was rather charming when she wanted to be, especially before the Incident had occurred a year prior. When with others, she shone like a star, somewhat bringing her talent to the forefront as she convinced others to like her so effortlessly. She knew the human mind almost as well as their Ultimate Psychologist, but unfortunately for them, the psychologist in question had killed himself before they ever met her. Oh well, so much for talent.

Monokuma was as intrigued by her mysteries as he was stoked to manipulate; he, too, was a complete mystery, even to the people he had aligned himself with. Junko didn't know his real name, and that was fine with him. Nobody had to know who he really was. Honestly, at this point, he'd all but forgotten his old identity, so what better way to live than give yourself a new one?

He focused on the camera that had been set up in her room on one of the top floors. It was a little hidden area in the principal's old office, hidden by a bookshelf. He frowned as he watched her sob, curled up into a ball on her bed. Ever since the Incident, he'd prided himself on not feeling human emotions such as sadness. But this woman... this young woman made old feelings well up inside his heart that made him nauseated enough to puke. But was it in the good way? He couldn't quite tell.

He turned away from the camera with a sigh. She was their ultimate weapon, just in case the students proved to be more unruly than necessary. She alone had the power to push them back into line, just as she had helped Mitarai do just a year before. But... would she really want to do it? Would she give in to Despair and help them out?

No, he thought to himself with a chuckle as he left the office. She was too strong-willed to buckle now. Even if the students were panicking and turning on each other faster than you could say 'Hope is dead', she would inevitably find some way to hold onto that wretched concept of hope.

He knocked quietly on her door, and the wails he heard from within quieted.

"Who is it?" Her voice, wavering and high-pitched, rang from within.

"It's me," he replied, stuffing his hands in his pants pockets. "Would'ya let me in?"

There was a pause.

Finally, he heard soft footsteps towards the door and it cracked open a bit, allowing him to see one half of her face, frowning, her eyes puffy and red.

"What do you want now?" She asked, her bottom lip beginning to tremble again.

He sighed. "Can I just-- will you just let me in so we can talk?"

She scoffed. "Since when do you wanna talk?"

"I'm actually trying to be kind here. Please let me in." He deadpanned, his face hardening.

She flinched away, but managed a small sigh and opened the door wider. "Fine. come in."

The room was a little messier than usual and the bedspread was flipped back, as if she'd been lying down for a while. One of her stuffed animals was on the ground next to the wall, as if she'd thrown it. To his chagrin, it was a stuffed animal he'd jokingly gotten her for her birthday a month before. (If you pressed the paw, you heard, in his bear avatar's voice, laughter and "I'm half Hope and half Des-bear!")

She flopped onto the bed, staring at him with thinly-veiled hatred.

"That despair you've got in your eyes..." he grinned at her, showing off his pearly white teeth. "It's breathtaking. Have you decided yet?"

"About what? Joining you?" She asked, her body shaking. Whether it was fear, anger, or that she was about to cry again, he didn't know. "You already know what I'm gonna say."

"That not even if Hell itself ripped the earth open, that you'd join us?" He let out an over-dramatic sigh. "(y/n), (y/n), (y/n), don't you see? Holding onto your hope is a foolish venture. In the end, all you will ever be rewarded with is despair."

"That's your life motto, not mine." She shot back, folding her arms. "Besides, you can't get rid of me yet. As long as there are still living students in this school, you need me."

"You do have a point," he admitted. "But I can't say that Junko would keep you alive for long after everyone is dead... and not you nor I have any idea when that could be. For all you know, we could have a trial tomorrow and everyone could choose wrong."

"Like that would happen," she laughed mockingly. "Every game needs a tutorial level, right? This will be a piece of cake."

He gave her a crooked smile. Well, she wasn't wrong, at least.

"You never know what could happen... it could happen that, coincidentally, I just so happened to..." he leaned in closer, his smile growing unnervingly wide, as he tapped her on the nose. "... stack the deck?"

"You wouldn't dare," she hissed. "Your fanbase wouldn't allow it."

"Right, right, you got me there." Chuckling, he pulled back.

The two of them stayed quiet for a little bit, the silence only broken by (y/n) sniffling once or twice.

Finally, she spoke. "... Mono?"

"Hm?" He looked over at her, only to find her staring hard at the wall.

"... I don't want to die," she admitted quietly, tears dotting her eyes. "I'm scared."

He said nothing, merely wrapping an arm around her shoulders to pull her in.

She didn't fight him, curling into his chest and letting her tears dribble down her face, staining his shirt.

The two sat like that for a while, just being in each other's company. They weren't partners in crime, nor were they enemies. Monokuma was content with her being in his arms, and (y/n), for once, felt safe.

Eventually, she fell asleep. He slowly slid off the bed, tucking her in and flipping off the light. He stole another glance at her chest rising and falling when he stood in the doorway.

"I'm... sorry, (y/n)," he whispered to her as he turned away again. "... but I have a game to play."

-

A/N: Ah, gotta love DGR Abridged Thing references. And Monokuma.

Please tell me what you thought, feel free to request more, and I'll see you guys later!